JCM-800 vs. Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zekmoe

Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have a JCM-800 which I actually love , except it's a little too brite and needs to be a little too loud to really sound good. I've read that the Stiletto is alot like a JCM-800, but with a little more gain and more compression. On paper this sounds like what I'd want. Has anyone compared the 2 for this type of sound? A little more gain and chunk without slamming so loud?
Bob

I still find the Stiletto a bit too bright, but Id say you pretty much summed it up.

The Stiletto cooks a lot more in the pre-amp so no, you wouldnt have to crank it as hard.

I am also very interested in a Mesa Stiletto Deuce, and I've been looking for oppinions about the sound, compared to Marshall. I own a TSL head, which I think I'll be re-tubing soon. Since I bought my Mesa Lonestar Classic, which I love, I got interested in the Stiletto. If I find any info, I'll also dump it here. :)

scotspine said:
Why are you interested in a stiletto on top of the lonestar?

Every started when I replaced a Fender amp, and I got my LS classic, I love it. And also lately I haven't been very happy with my Marshall TSL 10 head, then I discovered that I can install EL34's on my Lonestar, discovered the Stiletto Deuce and the Peavey JSX.

I love and will keep my LS with 6L6's, but I tried it with EL34's already, and it's ok, specially at 100 watts, silicon rectifier, and using the drive and gain, and I liked it, but not to leave it permanently with the EL34's. So I'm going back to the originals 6L6's on my LS. I love the sounds of this amp with Strats single coils.

Now I still have the GAS for a JSX or a Stiletto. I love the classic Marshall, as well as the modern Marshall sound. I'll keep my TSL, I love it, I'll just re-tube it with JJs, but since I already sold a couple of my regular amps, I'm thinking of experimenting with any one of these great amps. Initially I though of buying a Marshall 800, but it's more expensive, and this is an amp to only be played loud, but I also want to be able to play the same sounds at lower volumes, in this field, the Stiletto is winning over the JSX.

I keep looking for a place to try the Stiletto and the JSX, in the mean time, I keep looking for opinions about them.

The Mesa Stiletto basically has the same controls layout than the LS, and that is a feature I like, the chance to play it 50 or 100 watts, it's double rectifier, it's a dedicated EL34's amp, and that I already have a Marshal 4x12 cab with vintage 30 (1960 Vintage), so I think it's going to be very cool 8)

As for the Peavey JSX, I've heard very good comments, but no place to try it, but the amp it's only 100 watts, there is a trick to make it 50 watts by removing tubes, but I don't want to be doing that, so I'll wait a little longer before making my final decision. 8)

greggmetal said:
scotspine said:
Why are you interested in a stiletto on top of the lonestar?

I keep looking for a place to try the Stiletto and the JSX, in the mean time, I keep looking for opinions about them.

at the same time in a bay area store? I do not believe such a place exists. Of the 4 Mesa dealers in the bay, I know 3 of them do not cary the JSX.

no soul said:
at the same time in a bay area store? I do not believe such a place exists. Of the 4 Mesa dealers in the bay, I know 3 of them do not cary the JSX.

:D , you kidding right?, no of course no, normally Mesa is sold in GC and Peavey some other place. Sometimes peavey dealers don't have anything, they just can sell you amps special order, that happened to me once in a Dublin CA dealer, they didn't have it, they wanted to special order it for me, but no special price or deal, they wanted the retail price. It's always best to mail order on MF. Anyway I feel that Mesa Stiletto Deuce will be a much better option.

:p

Latest posts

Back