JCM 800 problem...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCastro

Reaction score
So I broke the shaft of the presence knob on my 800 (long story), so I figured I would simply order a new one and swap them out. Sadly the all the pots are connected right to the circuit board without solder! Can I just snip the old one off and solder knew one to those contacts? What can/should I do?

JCastro said:
So I broke the shaft of the presence knob on my 800 (long story), so I figured I would simply order a new one and swap them out. Sadly the all the pots are connected right to the circuit board without solder! Can I just snip the old one off and solder knew one to those contacts? What can/should I do?

Without solder? That's impossible. It would not work with no good solder joint.
If the pots are PCB mounted, you can get replacements here: http://metroamp.com/store/

I have replaced these before. The solder is on the bottom side of the pcb. You have to take all the nuts off of all the controls and the screws off of the PCB in order to have acces to the bottom of the PCB.

Thanks for the replies. Ursinus I forgot about this post, and actually did just that about 3 weeks ago. I found the right pot online and just took it apart and went for it... I've never needed to take apart electronics before and I just couldn't see how the pots was attached. In hindsight, my post seems rather naive :? but now that I've done the research and the hands on work I'm glad I didn't take it to any of the techs that wanted to charge me $100 (and up) to fix it. I also biased it myself at the same time with some new KT88's. Nothing beats getting great tone, out of an old amp and knowing you did the work. Rock on!

Latest posts

Back