James Hetfield's Mark II C+ "Crunch Berries"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eet fuk said:
According to the studio notes from Flemming himself, James boosted 120Hz, scooped 1.2k, and boosted 4.6k. That's kind of like 3 extra graphic eq sliders on the boogie between the amp sliders that are already there. AND he scooped the graphic on the IIC+. Man, that's a lot of scoop. But he also went right on the dustcap with both the midsy sm57 and a SDC mic, kinda balances it out I guess. I'm just looking at my notes on this and realizing that he used the parametric for the bass and treble more than the amp graphic. Interesting. But the 750 Hz is on top of the bottom line or right in it. SCOOP FEST. Whatever works for you...

Just drew a quick 8 slider eq including the amp and the para eq approximations, and it's a big M, holy sh!t. I can see where he was going with this...
We think he was trying to spell METALLICA. :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Not sure what his setup was, but their tone at the Dec 12th concert at hp pavilion san jose was just amazing! It was just like listening to CD at ear shattering levels.

ryjan said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I now want to try this pretty bad someday just to hear it. Punchier bass instead of woofy, and smoother highs instead of grating. My only concern is just the mids, easily remedied however.

For those of you with parametrics that want to approximate James' tone, try this:

amp graphic bass-to-highs:
top of middle line,
on middle line,
on bottom line,
bottom of middle line,
top of middle line.

Parametric:
5-10+dB at 120Hz bell,
6-9 -dB at 1.2k bell,
and 6-9 +dB at 4.6k shelf.

Amp settings:
vol: 9-10
treble: 7
bass:1.75-2
mids: 4
master:4
lead drive:5-6
lead master: 3.5-3.75
presence: 4.5

eet fuk said:
ryjan said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I now want to try this pretty bad someday just to hear it. Punchier bass instead of woofy, and smoother highs instead of grating. My only concern is just the mids, easily remedied however.

For those of you with parametrics that want to approximate James' tone, try this:

amp graphic bass-to-highs:
top of middle line,
on middle line,
on bottom line,
bottom of middle line,
top of middle line.

Parametric:
5-10+dB at 120Hz bell,
6-9 -dB at 1.2k bell,
and 6-9 +dB at 4.6k shelf.

Amp settings:
vol: 9-10
treble: 7
bass:1.75-2
mids: 4
master:4
lead drive:5-6
lead master: 3.5-3.75
presence: 4.5
Thanks man! I decyphered this into my Mark IV with my Boss GT's parametric and it sounded absolutely brutal.

#2121313 said:
Facelift said:
I recently put a Furman PQ-4 in the loop of my Mark III and it made a HUGE difference in how saturated the gain is. Very gritty and way more headroom. I can see why James used one. I cant imagine plugging in without it now. It jsut gives it that extra something that youve been missing.

Facelift, have you used any other parametric EQ's in the loop? I'm using a Rane PE15 with my Mark V in C+ mode and it helps but I still feel like it's missing something...I've been eying out other parametric eq's like the old Furmans...Also if you'd like to share any tips in terms of frequencies your adjusting in/out...I take it your going for a similar type old Hetfield tone?

I did try some other parametrics and graphics in the loop and NONE of them do as good of eqing as the Furmans. I still dont know why they discontinued these.

Actually Im not really going for just Hetfield tone. Im more trying to go for a cross between Hetfield, Dimebag, and Slayer tone. Im still working on it but I think Im getting closer. Heres the current bedroom settings Im using to achieve what I have. Im plugged straight into the amp. Loop consists of send>PQ4>Flanger/Doubler>Return. I also have it hooked up to both warhead cabs "4x12 & 2x15". The PQ4 settings are no different that Panteras Vulgar Display of Power. The flanger/doubler is just there to fatten up the sound. I cant imagine not using it. The sound Im getting is very raw and midrangey(not too much) but lots of bottom end with jsut enough treble/presence to give it enough bite that it doesnt sound mushy. Notes are still full of clarity but still with some heavy picking can have alot of crunch. The geq would suggest scooped sound, but with the pq4 adding back in mids later on, its not really a scooped sound. I wish I had something to record with because its the broOtalz.

SDC10749.jpg

THe pq4 settings are for the one on top. nothing else other than the flanger/doubler and the pq4 in that pic is hooked up to the Mesa.

SDC10750.jpg

Heres a video I found that I took the Mesa settings from to use as a base to build off of. He is using a PQ3 in the loop of his, which is not much different than the PQ4 so I figured it was a good match to build off of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOIIqbGHN8

I think Afxwinter (who's I see on this board too) uses a Rane PE15 unless he used a PQ3 in that particular video?

Yeah I'd be interested to hear your tone for sure...
Facelift said:
The PQ4 settings are no different that Panteras Vulgar Display of Power.

Curious, do you have Dime's settings for that album or something or are you just going by ear?

Signed ML, nice!

#2121313 said:
I think Afxwinter (who's I see on this board too) uses a Rane PE15 unless he used a PQ3 in that particular video?

Yeah I'd be interested to hear your tone for sure...
Facelift said:
The PQ4 settings are no different that Panteras Vulgar Display of Power.

Curious, do you have Dime's settings for that album or something or are you just going by ear?

Signed ML, nice!

Not by ear, I have a picture of his settings.

Here ya go. I scanned it so it didnt turn out well. I had to enhance the picture to make out the settings on the pq4 along with alot of zooming but what I posted in my pic is these settings.
dimerig2001.jpg

I´ll try to resuscitate the post, so...

Anyone knows how use James the ADA mq1? I have one, and I´ll apreciate any idea about that.

I have a post about that http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=43581 but I think more people can read this question in this post, too :wink:

Guys,
you are over thinking the whole thing... U dont need the exact equipment with the exact settings you think James used to get the right 'Metallica sound'.
No one, including James or Kirk will be able to get the exact same sound as in the 'black album' or justice or any other album, because there are many other factors involved, most of them are eq's and processors that where added in the studio after the tracks where recorded.

The signature Metallica sound until Justice was MK C+ with Marshalls

Since Justice the sound was created using: ADA mp1 ---> Dual rectifiers, combined with MK C+ and Diezel at different levels
Since Load the ADA MP1 was replaced by Triaxis.

As long as you use the same amps, at decent volume levels (at least 40% output, to let the tubes open up) you will get a 'Metallica sound'.
Im a sound engeneer and have played with James and Kirk several times. They also use Orange and silverstar amps....

Just have fun playing!

TheCapstan said:
Guys,
you are over thinking the whole thing... U dont need the exact equipment with the exact settings you think James used to get the right 'Metallica sound'.
No one, including James or Kirk will be able to get the exact same sound as in the 'black album' or justice or any other album, because there are many other factors involved, most of them are eq's and processors that where added in the studio after the tracks where recorded.

Since Justice the sound was created using: ADA mp1 ---> Dual rectifiers, combined with MK C+ and Diezel at different levels

As long as you use the same amps, at decent volume levels (at least 40% output, to let the tubes open up) you will get a 'Metallica sound'.
Im a sound engeneer and have played with James and Kirk several times. They also use Orange and silverstar amps....

Just have fun playing!

You are right about the approach to "acheiving" these tones, but do you have pics do validate you claims of the gear used? I have never seen an Orange or Silverstar amp used by 'Tallica. I know that they have used Het's old Silvertone, but not a Silverstar.

FWIW, I thought Het starting using Diezels around the St. Anger days? Prior to that, his Wizards made up alot of his sound between Load/Reload/Garage Inc.

IMO, I would love to see some actual Rectos used for recording on their albums. The only time I have ever seen Het use the Rectos was when he was warming up or just jamming. His live pics of the "Wall of Rectos" were dummy heads.

Aslo, I tried the "black album settings" and "M" GEQ settings and it nailed the Black album tone.

Check out a few of the vids on youtube. Someone actually separated all the individual guitar tracks. The most surprising IMO is the "Sad But True" track. James used a baritone guitar to thicken up the tone, but when the baritone track was taken out of the mix, the standard guitar tone was a dead-on-ringer for the "M" GEQ settings.

Right, Wizards where also used, and many more. (simul class randall and so on)
I do have some pics of the gear, ill take me a day or two to dig em up, but i will post a few.
The main thing is that theres no 'holy grail' setting or specific piece of equip, its a combination of things that where used without too much planning.
Cheers

<br>
ill find more in a couple of days.
But again, do not think that you have to have the exact same stuff they use to achieve the sound, find a setup that works for you with the equipment u have.

Cheers

When I saw Metallica in Oct, Metallica does not sound like Metallica, if I were to use the same standard of "attaining the perfect tone" that I used to get obsessed with. I like the updated Metallica tone, but it is the energy and feel as well as an acceptable tone that works when playing old and new songs live. I get a decent variety of tones out of my MKV and Single Rec played together to cover most Metallica tones. The balance is how much REC to put in the mix.

fretout, you have another pic or setting about the black´s album tour/record? I mean, different that the posted at the beggining of this topic.

TheCapstan said:
Guys,

Just have fun playing!

+1 to this! (except the rectifier and diezel did not exist until about 3-4 years after Justice. they still had marshalls and mesa and ada)

Latest posts

Back