I've discovered the Rocket 44 and 440!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterTrax

Reaction score
I have one here at the studio on trial, along with ten or twelve other amps we are trying out. It's a Rocket .44 1x12 combo in almost mint condition. In the context of what I am looking for right now - searing/screaming solo tones - this amp rocks. Dialing it in was quick and easy especially for a Mesa. The harmonics are so up front and so full-spectrum it's almost crazy. Been playing an old Ibanez Roadstar Strat w/ Dimarzzio super dist. humbuckers straight into the amp. Beautiful. The cleans are quite good as well, large and authoratative. This amp has so much more definition than my recto heads and a sweeter sound with a lot more harmonics than the Mark IV sitting next to it. I will be trying this amp into a 4x12 tonight and I can't wait to hear it.

Anyone else impressed with these little monsters?

M

Hi rabies,

What kind of guitars and pickups did you play when you had your 440?

Thank goodness amp versatility is not a factor in choosing amps for me, since all my playing is in the studio and I do not play live gigs. If an amp makes just ONE sound I like, it's a good amp and could serve me well. The Rocket is a fine example of this. Side-by-side with the Mark IV, for example, the Mark literally makes the Rocket sound like a cheap entry-level amp on most things - cleans, mild breakup, blues, classic rock, heavy rock rhythm.....BUT...lead and solo tone....merciful granny's toenails! The Rocket steps out into the forefront with it's outrageous amounts of harmonic content and smooth sustain. By comparison the Mark's lead voices are scratchier and somewhat pastier - the word harsh comes to mind - with less harmonics. This is not a slam against Mark IVs. The Mark IV is a world class amp of immense dimensions and everyone should have one. The Rocket simply does one thing a little better....but my, what a difference. And solo tone is important when one wants the tone to absolutely represent the context of the music, right?

The high gain lead/solo tones in the Rocket are so beautiful, as a matter of fact, I wonder if these amps didn't simply get overlooked somehow, or overshadowed by something else at the critical moment in marketing. I suppose it doesn't matter. I have one here now, and I don't think it is going back to the store.

M

Latest posts

Back