it's that time in every man's life

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verity38

Reaction score
Alright, well my dual rec has had tubes for 8 years and counting and I still have not changed them/nor do I need to, but I think it's time that I now change them because its getting crazy. I just have one problem when it comes to changing tubes... I don't know how to do it. I play post-hardcore or better known as scremo. I want a good gain with a decent clean... I need to know exactly how many tubes I need for what and everything. I am going to be buying from Eruo Tubes unless anyone has a better site. Either way if anyone could help me purchase exactly what I need that would be awesome.

Also, is it alright to just pull the tubes out and put new ones in or do i need to reset stuff?

thanks.
-marc

you can pull the tube and set a new one in. Mesa's have a fixed bias. However, you can not pick up any random tube off the street, plug it in, and hope it will work. Mesas have a fixed bias, but they also have a range--you can't go out of the range, or else you may damage the tube and amp.

after 8 years, you should be pulling everything out of there. preamps and power amp.

People here like JJ, TungSol, groove tube, Mesa tubes...Just talk to your dealer about your amp and sound and they'll know what to do.

alright..well i didnt buy it from a dealer, i bought it used about 7 months ago and the guy told me the tubes were never changed and that they would need it soon. But I still figure EuroTubes is where I will buy them from. Or I will prolly just read what I have on the back of my tubes and buy the same exact ones.

okay well i have gone on mesa and eurotubes.com and this is what i have in my amp and this is what i have found.. i am not ordering until someone tells me i have found the right stuff.

I have in my amp:
2-5U4G Mesa Engineering
4-6L6 GC STR 420 Mesa Engineering
4-Mesa STR 12AX7-A

What I am buying:
4- 12AX7
2- 5U4G Rectifier
4- 6L6GC ( 5881 )

Thanks agian for everyone's help. I am just making sure I don't waste any money. :)

Latest posts

Back