Its all in the Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPSEWORM

Reaction score
Most of you may already be aware of this but trial and error finally proved useful. After dealing with pedals, Eq's, overdrives, Preamps and whatever you can imagine I've found the error of my ways. I sold my triple Rectifier and tried a Solid State amp and hated it. I finally went back and bought a Dual Rectifier but still unhappy with the bottom end. It had that mushy tone but the gain was where I wanted it.

Ok, I finally hooked up to my friends Voodoo cabinet and there it was. That was what I was looking for! To figure out after I spent all that money for crap that I sold back for less. I didnt realize that the V30 installed in my Mesa Cabinet produced a great tone but not for what I was looking for. I needed a different speaker to give me what I wanted? All this time and money and I could have swapped out my speakers 3-5 times over.
I can only laugh at this point but for those of you wanting a tighter sound from your Mesa try replacing the speakers first. Just my opinion.

The Mesa Traditional 4x12 did a worlds difference for me....but I'm still not a rectifier fan....Mark IV should be here very soon!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
The Mesa Traditional 4x12 did a worlds difference for me....but I'm still not a rectifier fan....Mark IV should be here very soon!
Congrats on the Mark IV
What type of speakers are in the traditional? I have the Rectifier Standard slant. I was thinking about replacing the Vintage 30's with the G12K-100.

You might want to sell your cabinet and get a traditional or something else that is traditional size. The mesa standard cabinets are oversized and that is where you get that boominess from. Even with speaker change it will still be a bit boomy, probaly more then you like.

CORPSEWORM said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:
Congrats on the Mark IV
What type of speakers are in the traditional? I have the Rectifier Standard slant. I was thinking about replacing the Vintage 30's with the G12K-100.

I'm surprisingly pleased with my 1x12 Thiele cabs. I am also surprised that I like either one or the other, but not both together. I lose a TON of bottom end when running them both in 4ohms. One cab in 8ohms is where it's at for me! AND, I can carry it all myself without breaking my back. Head in one hand, cab in the other, and my girl can handle the pedalboard and guitar. 8)

i`ve always liked the bass response from my marshalls. i have an a/b 800 set with vin 30`s and g12t 75`s in an X pattern that i do shows with, and a 900 with emenince legend v12`s that sounds sik

lailer75 said:
by the way corpseworm, hows Gnostic goin?
We are recording in September. Trying to tweek the songs a bit and finish up on new stuff. Thanks for asking! Btw, Chris gave me the same info on the V30 and G12T-75 in the X pattern last night. Thats funny as hell that you posted that. I think I'll give him 2 of my V30's and grab 2 of his GT12's and see how it sounds this week. :D

MusicManJP6 said:
... I lose a TON of bottom end when running them both in 4ohms.

One of the speakers (or cables) must have the polarity reversed. If the speakers are out of phase w/ eachother, they tend to cancel out certain frequencies. Try some different speaker cables (only change one at a time) If that doesnt help, take one of your speakers out and switch the + and - wires around the opposite way and try it like that.

i'll tell you one thing..... mesa should really consider going over to eminence.... the price of their cabs would drop around $50 and i've heard the oversized recto cabs with 2 texas heats and 2 govners in an x pattern and i have to say ..... much tighter and at the same time a better break up for leads.... even in the oversized cab never felt flabby......my friend is experiementing with all types of cab/speaker setups.... his basement looks like a warehouse right now... he basically buys older and sometimes beatup cabs, mostly unloaded, and then goes to town.... he picked up a oversized recto cab that was beat to **** and 2 of the speakers blown for $200.... through the eminence speakrs mentioned above in it (he's done the same with a 5150 cab and a b52 cab with incredible results)..... man boogie should really look into it and get off the celestion band wagon.... i'm not saying boogie doesnt make awesome cabs that sound great.... but they can sound better :lol:

how 'bout jensens? in my marshall 1960 straight cab i run a pair of vinatge reissue C12n's and a pair of modern J series in an X-pattern and it's phenominal. I could never get a good clean tone with the celestions, and with the jensens i've never heard all the muddy/fizz stuff poeple seem to complain about.

i'll tell you one thing..... mesa should really consider going over to eminence....

Or Scumbacks (pre-rola Greenback repros), which get rave reviews, and sound fantastic if you can judge from the clips floating around on the web.

Which Voodoo Cab was it? the 4x12 with what speakers?

I think Trace likes the G12-75/V30 combo.

I almost never use the stock speaker, not a fan of the Celestion "tone" especially as the volume goes up. Sounds strained to me, like something is unhappy. I like hi-power cast frame speakers much better. The bass is huge so you can turn down the bass knob and reduce flub. I don't seem to be able to kill them and they never sound strained. Current line up:

Maverick 1-12 JBL G125
Blue Angel 1-12 Peavey Scorpion Ultra (the one with the HUGE magnet)
Subway Blues 1-10 Peavey Scorpion. I want to try another speaker but this is sooooo much better than the stock speaker. Sounds like a 12.

Latest posts

Back