Is your rig better than you are?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris McKinley

Reaction score
Do you try to spend as much time on your chops as you do building your rig? This isn't a call-out on anyone, but just a reminder to keep the G.A.S. quest in perspective. Especially on this sub-forum, a lot of us spend a good deal of time chasing after just the right overdrive or wah-wah pedal, or trading out EQ's on a weekly basis in the hopes of finding just the right one. All in the neverending quest for the perfect tone. I'm as guilty as anyone here, and likely more than most.

The question is: what are you doing with that Holy Grail tone once you find it? Are your playing chops developed enough to fully take advantage of how great your guitar sounds? Can you play well enough to justify all that equipment?

Now, granted, your individual answer to both those questions may be an honest "yes". That's great. In fact, that's really the point to all of it: to have both the chops and the rig to sound your best. After all, what good is a $2000 Les Paul with custom pickups, a Triple Rectifier with a dozen $200 boutique pedals, and a $900 cabinet if all you can do is play detuned one-finger power chords in a dime-a-dozen cookie monster screamo clone metal band?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock:

Sign me up to be a charter member, I do.

And I tell you, since I have been playing Boogie I have had more drive to be better.

ps.... I'm, 50. I have been playing since 1964. My first amp was a 1964 Fender Tremolux piggyback, & first guitar....1963 Fender Sunburst Statocaster. I had a good start coming from a musically "inclined" family :)

good reflection

I always feel that I'm below par on my guitar playing abilities, however I read a quote from Jeff Beck once that went something like "I still don't know anything about the guitar."

And, I like to use the gear/tone quest a an excuse to play more. If I get stagnant I go buy another pedal. At the very least I'll get 6 hours of straight play with it the first two days, and another couple of sets of hours rearranging my pedals to get a good or better sound out of the pedal.

I don't think I'll ever be happy with my chops, and always try to improve or learn something new, as not to get 'stale'.

Honestly, I am so satisfied with my rig that it forces me to be a better player. I look at the new effects, NOS tubes, p'up swaps etc. I try as a way to increase my musical vocabulary and expressiveness, not generate it :D

Dom

Thanks, guys, for the responses. This whole thread is meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I often wonder if younger players especially aren't fooled by advertising into spending more time worrying about acquiring this or that gadget which promises to make their guitar playing sound great rather than spending no money at all and doing the one thing that is guaranteed to improve their sound: practicing.

It's never been easier than it is today for the average bedroom or garage guitarist to sound as good as the professionals and guitar heroes. In the 80's, when the average level of playing chops was higher, we would have killed for such great gear at such affordable prices. I just want to keep it from becoming a crutch and a substitute for learning to play well.

Wow, do I sound like a curmudgeon! In the immortal words of Paul Gilbert, "Get out of my yard!"

My playing probably doesn't justify the gear I have. I admit it. I'm not the most technically minded player. My main style is sloppy blues based playing ala Keith Richards & Jimmy Page. I personally think I suck, but I get compliments on my playing, from both non musicians & other guitar players as well. But I have a appreciation for good workmanship & quality, so whatever "cool things" I buy whether its music gear, stereos, tools, firearms, camping gear, etc, I try to buy the best that I can afford. (All the tools I use to work on my cars are Craftsman, I broke a socket one time, took it back to Sears & swapped it out for a new one, no questions asked, so sometimes it pays off to spend more....but that doesn't mean I'm gonna spend the extra $$ on Snap-On!)

I happen to really like guitars. I don't wear nice trendy name brand clothing, I don't have nice furniture, & I still have a 27" analog CRT TV, but I have some kick *** gear!

My playing isn't there but, man it sounds gooood!
It's just like most hobby's. Good product = Empty wallet

Until about 5 months ago my gear was on a par with my playing ie. pretty average! But a recent spending spree has upgraded my gear and swayed the balance in favour of my rig so I now need to play catch up. The good thing is the looming financial recession has put a brake on any more spending for the time being. 8)

In the early 80's when I got my first guitar and amp I quit playing after a couple years due to poor sound/tone I was getting, I wanted to sound like Schenker, Blackmore, Rhodes or Torme yet crappy gear left me sounding like Hank Marvin.
So yeah I think it's far easier to get the tone you desire these days but I think the kids are are holding their own in terms of chops/skill levels.
For me where the problem lies is in the copy cat behavior, Youtube is full of dicks all sounding like Vai or Satriani instead of developing their own style.

Chris McKinley said:
Do you try to spend as much time on your chops as you do building your rig? This isn't a call-out on anyone, but just a reminder to keep the G.A.S. quest in perspective. Especially on this sub-forum, a lot of us spend a good deal of time chasing after just the right overdrive or wah-wah pedal, or trading out EQ's on a weekly basis in the hopes of finding just the right one. All in the neverending quest for the perfect tone. I'm as guilty as anyone here, and likely more than most.

The question is: what are you doing with that Holy Grail tone once you find it? Are your playing chops developed enough to fully take advantage of how great your guitar sounds? Can you play well enough to justify all that equipment?

Now, granted, your individual answer to both those questions may be an honest "yes". That's great. In fact, that's really the point to all of it: to have both the chops and the rig to sound your best. After all, what good is a $2000 Les Paul with custom pickups, a Triple Rectifier with a dozen $200 boutique pedals, and a $900 cabinet if all you can do is play detuned one-finger power chords in a dime-a-dozen cookie monster screamo clone metal band?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock:

I dont waste time fiddling with tubes etc.

My rig works for me. I think that my rig is as good as I need it to be so...No I dont think my rig is better than me.

Is my rig better than me? Yes, I'm guilty. I really don't need a 4X12, three heads, and four guitars. I don't exactly suck, but I'm not a pro either. I think as long as you're still trying to improve as a guitar player then there's nothing really wrong with it; it's as good a place to spend your money as you'll find, and if it makes you happy then that's great.
I understand where the topic starter is coming from though. I spend ages fiddling trying to get the perfect set-up, but while I'm just playing to myself I know it really doesn't matter!

Unfortunately yes. I have some killer gear all connected up perfect like & I can't play a thing.

great Thread Chris !

Unfortunately, I feel my rig limits my playing. I blame myself for buying an amp ill suited for my style and then sticking with it for 7 years. I have wasted countless hours and resources chasing tones and buying pedals when the core of my issue has always been my amp choice. The DR is great for the cover bands I am in but that is not necessarily who I am. Can you dig it?

I just ordered a Splawn Quick Rod and I am hoping that this choice will compliment my playing. I think secretly I have craved an EL34 80's flavor but been too stubborn to realize it.

I grew up in 80's when guitar gods were king. A DR would have been very unpopular in that era. The lesson is listen to follow your instincts and if an amp is not doing it for you after a few months then don't spend your time trying to fix it with pedals.

****Unneccesary Plug : If your technique needs a shot in the arse buy Sheets of Sound by Jack Zucker. This book will keep you busy for several lifetimes.

I would have to say about ten years ago I got really out of control with gear, was in a copy band and spent more time with preamps and processors than the songs. Had a 12 space rack loaded with a TA/2:90 but processors I was changing them out like sox.
But in the end got rid of allot of gear and just went to my Mark IV DONE. The funny thing I was always comfortable playing bone dry, have not relied on the effects but I do like the different textures.
As of now spend at least 1 hour a day with the metronome just for chop building and then go on to whatever. I have always had this one what some would say to be a weird flaw. When in copy bands I would never learn the songs till the last minute I would sit down to learn a few and then would shift to the metronome. I always feel the need to work the chops. It was and still is to some degree an obsession.

But the gear demon might be reappearing! Got a GSP1101 about 5 months ago basic good solid effects (meat & potato) does the 4 cable method and has some pretty good models of some overdrive pedals to boot. But now I have inserted a Rocktron Xpression into the mix. So the 1101 handles compression, overdrive pedals, noise reduction, has a pretty good wah but I don’t use it. This is all before the amps preamp (I’m only using half of the 1101) as far as time based effects the Xpression is handling the reverb delay flange and so on in the loop. Of course had to break out the Rocktron All Access midi board to control everything, the Mark IV is currently using a Rockman Octopus for channel switching via midi, which is being replaced by a CFX4 which I’m just waiting to come.

So it’s basically Mark IV & cabinet 2x12 and a 4sp rack consisting of GSP1101, Xpression, and of course I can’t part with my Dunlop rack mount wah. The sad part this is real simple compared to what I use to do.

I mainly record, both myself and other people. While MY chops arent fantastic, tone is very crucial to my recordings. Honestly, I am mainly a drummer anyways.

But I play guitar a lot and I have a super high learning curve, so i figure i'll get there eventually.

I can honestly say that my gear matches my playing style and abilities. But I, like most of you am a very honest person and I sought an amplifier that was for me, and would project my sound honestly. I use a DC-5 through a 4X12 standard Recto Cab and 3 pedals, a rocktron delay, boss chorus, and a crybaby wah, Korg tuner. I have had most of this for the better part of a decade and I never really feel stagnant. I like to practice and work on my chops and have been dedicating many hours a week recently since I have recently recovered from a tendon injury in my right hand. I think my rig could probably sound better with an addition of new effects but im very happy with its sound and versatility. So yes my rig fits me. Guitar wise I use a 2000 Gibson Les paul studio and a 78 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

i'm not sure i understand very well this thread !!?? :?

i tried several amps, cabs, stomp boxes... not a lot of guitar unfortunately...

but finally i'm quite happy with my gear... especially amp, cab and effect...

i think i'll keep on trying guitar... but i don't like to try it in store... so i only try my friends ones...

i don't care about my playing which is not good anyway :lol:
i care much more about our "songs"

Ehh...my gear is better than me, if you consider how good a Les Paul and Mesa can sound in the hands of....well, the greats, plus a lot of people that are better than me.

My GT-6 kind of keeps me sane in this respect. It's not - by most standards - quality to match the guitar and amp, but it's pretty good, and it allows me to change all kinds of sounds and re-think how I'm using my effects without spending money.

Thinking about that sort of thing is what I do when I can't play as much as I want, so it helps, and does encourage me to play better. But yeah...

MF said:
before i bought my Mesa i was much better than my gear...but now i think it has the edge :lol: .

:!: :!:

Back