Is your IIC+ simul LOUD in "Class A" Mode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Mine is!! Dang!!! In fact, the amp is not all that much louder in Simul-Class mode. I'm burning STR-454's for the inner pair and STR-442's for the outer. Tubes are fresh. The word always was that it was 15 watts in "Class A" mode and 75 watts in Simul (using STR-415's), but this one in class-A mode sounds more like 50 watts! Sounds great, but I have always wondered about this.

Thanks,
Allen

15 watts is loud very loud. 15 watts is only 6db less then 60 watts. And that is when they are both flat out. I run my MKIIC+ in sim mode it just sounds better to me.

908ssp said:
15 watts is loud very loud. 15 watts is only 6db less then 60 watts. And that is when they are both flat out. I run my MKIIC+ in sim mode it just sounds better to me.

Hi 908ssp-

You didn't say, but is Simul much louder on yours than "class-a"?

It must be the output tranny on this thing. Handles mucho current. Never seem to hear it saturate.

Allen

Hey Alan I really haven't used the class A switch more then twice. The volume may have dropped but it wasn't noticeable and I never tried turning it up loud in class A mode. But those two time I switched it to class A I did notice a change in the tone and I didn't care for it. In my mind the MKIIC+ is a master volume amp I am not looking for power tube distortion when I play my MKIIC+. I have Marshalls for Power tube distortion. I often run a two amp set up using the clean and the lead channel from the Boogie and the dirty channel from the Marshall for rhythm.

908ssp said:
Hey Alan I really haven't used the class A switch more then twice.

Wow! Amazing. Just goes to show ya! I LOVE the "class-A" setting. I pretty much leave it there exclusively. And I definitely go for more power tube saturation using either 5881's for blues or EL 34's for rock gigs. Sure is a versatile little amp though, huh?

Back when I first got the amp, I used the pre-amps way high up on 8-10 for lead drive. But then in the last couple of years, playing more blues with the amp, I have been experimenting more in bringing the voice of the power tubes more to the front. A lot of guitarists who say they don't like Mesas because they sound "cold" come up to me and say how different my rig sounds to what they know as the Boogie sound. I think now I know why.

Best,
Allen

+1
Sounds like me.. I have a Mark III simulclass. 454/442. I've been delving into poweramp dist more lately as I'm into a blues/rock vein now.Still shred tho! I've been using class A alot as well, running the vol 1 at 4, and the master at 9. Sounds great with the strat. I'm next going to try the 454 in class A. I think it'll be godly!
ax. :twisted:

axwielding1 said:
+1
Sounds like me.. I have a Mark III simulclass. 454/442. I've been delving into poweramp dist more lately as I'm into a blues/rock vein now.Still shred tho! I've been using class A alot as well, running the vol 1 at 4, and the master at 9. Sounds great with the strat. I'm next going to try the 454 in class A. I think it'll be godly!
ax. :twisted:

Good Gawd Magnum!!

Running the master at 9??? Robin Master's Ferrari at 180 MPH???
Zeus... Apollo... KILL!!!!

Sounds like a good time to experiment... heh heh...

I have tried the 454 (yellow) in class A... liked the 5881's (blue) better. More headroom with the 454's as you would expect. But I like the compression you get with the 5881's. 454's sure are smooth though.

I am thinking about trying the T.A.D. "short bottle" in the outside pair. Might be really nice and spongy for blues.

Best,

Allen

908ssp said:
I never tried turning it up loud in class A mode. But those two time I switched it to class A I did notice a change in the tone and I didn't care for it.

Ahhh... yeah... know what you mean. The key is to TURN IT UP! It needs to flesh out. I usually dial the bass up 1 notch too when in class A. But if you run 5881's in class A mode, you get a nice dark compression. I run the master at about 3 and vol 1 about 7 or 8 with a lester. 10 with a strat or tele. Lead Drive around 3 or 4. Lead Master around 5. Good awky clean channel and big round singing lead. Gets you close to that Mick Ralphs tone. (he's the best).

Allen

Just want to clarify guys if you don't mind...the simul-class IIC+ is 100 watts when using all four tubes and only 15 watts when using the outer two? I thought when you switched to the outer two it went to 60 watts? I'm looking to get another Boogie (I've got a Studio Series), and I want one where I can get good power tube saturation at a reasonable volume (not bedroom, but "band practice" volume) and yet also have the option for alot of headroom. I was thinking of the Mark IV 'cause I read that with Tweed power, class A, etc., you can bring it down to 30 watts. Are the simul-class Mark III's the same--15 watts when in class A? Thanks in advance!

Tom

Latest posts

Back