IS THERE A WAY TO CHANGE THE DIAMOND PLATE ON THE DUAL REC.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, step by step of what I did.

1) Remove the chassis

2) Turn the head shell face down, and put it on something soft, so you don't damage the tolex. Carpet, a couch, etc.

3) Take a small 2x4 of about 12 -14" long, and place it on the corner of the exposed diamond plate on the back side of the face.

4) Beat the 2x4 with some good solid whacks, but don't take all of your aggression out on it. It might take a bit, but it will break loose.

5) Once you have one corner loose, flip the head back over, and pull the diamond plate off with one hand, while working your other hand underneath the plate, trying to break the tape loose.

6)Keep trying.

7)Keep trying. Use a knife very carefully if you have to. Be careful, and just work it back and forth. Keep your hands out of way in case the knife slips.

8) Sooner or later, it will pop off. May take some of the plastic behind the face with it.

9) Remove the remaining bits of tape with a razor blade, very carefully.

It's highly likely that the tape will not stick again once it's pulled off. Besides that, it stretches as it comes off. You'll have to go buy new. I just bought some 1" wide 3M double sided tape from Home Depot. It works, but it's not as sticky as the stuff Mesa uses. You might try an industrial parts store like Fastenal, they may have heavy-duty double sided tape.

so regardless if the tape is gonna become loose so i would have to buy some ne way to make sure it goes back on properly, okay, im also going to call mesa and see if they can help out any way, even though im sure theyre gonna treat me like crap since im voiding the warranty

I'm pretty sure the warranty doesn't include cosmetics. You might ask them to find out for sure.

Maybe they'll send you some of the tape they use.

As a side note, they told me that I wouldn't be able to get the diamond plate off without destroying the shell, and they've never known of anyone ever being able to get it off. ;)

Are you having it painted/powder-coated? Or are you willing to sacrifice the grille to somebody who needs one for a project? ;)

I want to put a Dual Recto grille on my Mk III. I HAD a DR. I also had a custom cab made for it with a diamond-plate baffle. I called Mesa to see if they'd sell me a dual rectifier grille (diamond-plate, grate, and logo). They said no. . .

Anybody got one in the graveyard they'd be willing to give up?!

lol sorry bra, i plan on keeping it, all i wanted to do is just change the color of the grill and i can't believe they didn't want to send a you that part, did you try asking for it as a replacement?

Yeah. I can't bring myself to fudge the truth with them. I told them it was for my Mk III and that I'd have to chop it up - they weren't into it. Maybe a different guy on the phone a different day would've gone for it. Not yesterday, though. I can GET the diamond-plate. That's easy!!! I need that 'grate' part and the logo!

Lil' help? :)

just b/s them...i plan on calling them and seeing if i can get the whole piece and tell them that the original one i have is damaged very badly, and i was planning on using that as a backup in case i want to re sell the amp

Please let me know how that goes and what info they'd like from you :)

Ok, step by step of what I did.

1) Remove the chassis

2) Turn the head shell face down, and put it on something soft, so you don't damage the tolex. Carpet, a couch, etc.

3) Take a small 2x4 of about 12 -14" long, and place it on the corner of the exposed diamond plate on the back side of the face.

4) Beat the 2x4 with some good solid whacks, but don't take all of your aggression out on it. It might take a bit, but it will break loose.

5) Once you have one corner loose, flip the head back over, and pull the diamond plate off with one hand, while working your other hand underneath the plate, trying to break the tape loose.

6)Keep trying.

7)Keep trying. Use a knife very carefully if you have to. Be careful, and just work it back and forth. Keep your hands out of way in case the knife slips.

8) Sooner or later, it will pop off. May take some of the plastic behind the face with it.

9) Remove the remaining bits of tape with a razor blade, very carefully.
Thanks for posting the advice above , it worked well for me this afternoon as I replaced my Chrome plate with a Black one I’d purchased directly from Mesa Boogie .

I placed my head shell face down on some door mats covering my floor , then placed a large flathead screwdriver in the corner on the lip showing on the underside of the baffle , I then proceeded to hit it firmly around 5/6 times and it became loose enough to start working it away as per post above .

Some paint and a little chipboard did come away , but as I was covering it with pedal board tape so wasn’t going to be a big issue .

Pictures are below
IMG_8174.jpeg
IMG_8175.jpeg
IMG_8177.jpeg
IMG_8181.jpeg
IMG_8183.jpeg

I did use a hairdryer to remove the old sticky tape easily before attaching the pedal board tape .

Latest posts

Back