IS THERE A WAY TO CHANGE THE DIAMOND PLATE ON THE DUAL REC.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HEY GUYS I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT ME A MESA BOOGIE DUAL RECTIFIER, I CURRENTLY MADE THE SWITCH TO MESA BOOGIE BECAUSE OF THE RIDICOLOUS ISSUES I HAD WITH MY PREVIOUS AMP THE NEW "EGNATER". TOO MANY PROBLEMS. SO IVE DECIDED TO SWITCH TO MESA, I WANTED TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF THE DIAMOND PLATE ON THE HEAD, INSTEAD OF CHROME I WANTED IT BLACK, IM THINKING OF JUST TAKING THE **** THING APART AND PAINTING IT, BUT IF THERE IS A REPLACEMENT FOR IT THEN THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL.
THANKS

DUCE

It's a pain in the ***... it's stuck on with double sided tape and removing it improperly will destroy the baffle. I believe some guys here have had luck using a hairdryer to get the adhesive to give...

Maybe one of them can chime in.

AWESOME THANX....YEA I LAUGHED AT THE SALES MANS FACE WHEN I ASKED IF I COULD GET IT THE DIAMOND PLATE IN BLACK AND THEY SAID IT WOULD COST MAYBE AN EXTRA 500, SCREW THAT!

YEA I CANT FIND ANY REPLACEMENT PART FOR IT OR NE THING.....SO IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO THIS LET ME KNOW PLZ

Do you type in all-caps because you have to or because you really are YELLING when you're typing to us?

As far as a replacement, I haven't found anything either, but I assumed it'd be a "custom" job no matter what.

One of the guys on here had luck getting the front off and he build his own mesh front for it. If you ask nicely, maybe he'll post a picture for you...

woops caps lock was on! haha

thanx dude....yea whoever that is can you please get some info on that because i would really like to get my amp to stand out

Guitardude32787 said:
woops caps lock was on! haha

thanx dude....yea whoever that is can you please get some info on that because i would really like to get my amp to stand out
There's another thread on this, check it out first :)

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12009

I ended up having to beat the damned thing off with a small 2x4 and a hammer. The hairdryer didn't work for me. There's a peice of plastic behind the diamond plate that got a little cracked, but it's no big deal to me.

I took the chassis out and started on one corner, broke it loose, and then I could pull it the rest of the way off. I made a plate out of some sheet metal, to 1/8" smaller than the original faceplate, spray painted it black, and used spray adhesive to cover it with Mesa grill cloth.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2852268100056706588YVVFxv

mikey383 said:
I ended up having to beat the damned thing off with a small 2x4 and a hammer. The hairdryer didn't work for me. There's a peice of plastic behind the diamond plate that got a little cracked, but it's no big deal to me.

I took the chassis out and started on one corner, broke it loose, and then I could pull it the rest of the way off. I made a plate out of some sheet metal, to 1/8" smaller than the original faceplate, spray painted it black, and used spray adhesive to cover it with Mesa grill cloth.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2852268100056706588YVVFxv

That looks awesome!!!! Nice job.

-dave

Thanks man.

I have a small problem with one part of it not wanting to stick to the head. I need to get some heavier-duty double sided tape. I'm just using the standard 3M stuff that you find in almost any store, and it's not as sticky as the stuff Mesa uses. I'm not sure, but I think Fastenal carries heavy duty double sided tape.

Agreed. It looks very classy. Not quite so "Harley Davidson"...

When you got it all off it was all one piece right? How did you separate the diamond plate from the center grill+logo piece? Or did you?

I'm confused :)

wow...thats nuts...im still a little confuse on how to remove it thought....so does the diamond plate have a adheisive on it to where you to warm up before removal, or just beat it wit a mallot until it pops off..i got off the phone with a place that does custom work and they said theyll do it for 150 but im alittle worried cuz its not an actual store...its some dude who lives in an apt. so he'll do all the work. wat you guys think

Guitardude32787 said:
wow...thats nuts...im still a little confuse on how to remove it thought....so does the diamond plate have a adheisive on it to where you to warm up before removal, or just beat it wit a mallot until it pops off..i got off the phone with a place that does custom work and they said theyll do it for 150 but im alittle worried cuz its not an actual store...its some dude who lives in an apt. so he'll do all the work. wat you guys think
This process sounds like one that has to be done slowly and carefully. Even though its a really physical process of breaking strong adhesive apart, if this guy does it wrong is he gonna pay to replace everything he breaks?

I'd work that out before you go giving it to him. If you do it yourself you can take each step with precision and be sure that you're not going to damage anything....and if something goes wrong, you have only yourself to blame...not some guy in his apt.

The center grill and the diamond plate are two seperate pieces. IIRC, they are stuck together using the same tape as what holds the plate on, but it's not nearly as hard to get off.

Guitardude, it's held on with double-sided tape. But it's an industrial strength tape, and really hard to get off. Heating it up might help, but I ended up having to beat it off because heating it up didn't work for me. I took the chassis out and sat the shell face-down on my garage couch, and beat the p*ss out of it until it popped loose on one corner. Took me maybe 10-12 whacks. Then I just worked my hand under it, pulling it the rest of the way off with a little force, pulling with one hand while working the other hand under the plate.

If you look inside the chassis from the back, you can see that there's a little lip of the diamond plate that sticks down farther than the wood behind the faceplate. That's what I was whacking.

yea he seemed kinda unsure how to do it and all so i think im just gonna cancell him out, do you think the manufacture would help me out in any way, i highly doubt it,but,mikey 383 could you please put a lil more detail on how you removed the chrome diamond plate off your dual rec...and ne problem you ran it, the information you gave is a good start but i want to make sure its 100% full before i consider doing this.

Another option might be to take the amp out of the head shell and just cover all the surfaces really well and paint it in place. If you're going to just want it to be flat black it should be pretty easy to tape off anything you don't want affected.

Just a thought.. might save you a lot of hassle :idea:

FWIW, I've done this same thing to two different heads. The one head came apart with no problem. The second head broke the thin sheet of plastic that sits behind the plate, and splintered the wood a little bit. Nothing that can't be taken care of with some black paint, and if I ever put the diamond plate back on, you won't be able to tell.

Use precaution, and like tunedown said, it might be better to do it yourself. Maybe after you get one corner loose, working a butcher's knife under the plate will help seperate the tape from the head.

yea im actually at work (circuit city) and one of my roadshop guys said to do that, but i was also told that i might have to sandblast the diamond plate to get that paint to stick?

I wonder if you could soak the tape with some of that liquid adhesive
remover for a bit to lessen its adhesive properties?

I had some from a company called "Blaster" that was effective. I've seen similar type products at Home Depot, think it was called goof off sticker
remover or something like that.

-dave

so all you pretty much did was take a small flat head screwdriver and pryed it off while gently tapping the corner with a mallot,

Latest posts

Back