is the roadking II gonig to be obsolete???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecon5

Reaction score
mesa is set to annouce a new amp this summer after ending production on mark4
does this mean the rk2 is going to be obsolete??? :(

No, because the new amp is going to have a lead channel based on the Mark series, Lonestar cleans, progressive linkage with EL84s, 6V6s, EL34s AND 6L6s, 3 assignable graphic EQs, 6 FX loops, 8 channels, and a knob that controls how many people die.

It will be completely different than a RKII.

But Honestly, I think that Mesa would be fools to completely stop production of the Mark line. LOTS of people are Mesa fans because of the Mark-series, and you simply can't get Mark sounds out of a Rectifier-style amp.

sixtonoize said:
But Honestly, I think that Mesa would be fools to completely stop production of the Mark line. LOTS of people are Mesa fans because of the Mark-series, and you simply can't get Mark sounds out of a Rectifier-style amp.
Go to the Mesa website and try to find the description for the Mark IV. Go ahead, I dare you.

MrMarkIII said:
sixtonoize said:
Go to the Mesa website and try to find the description for the Mark IV. Go ahead, I dare you.
But if you wait a few days or weeks and try again I'm guessing you'll get different results. 8)

newfinator said:
MrMarkIII said:
sixtonoize said:
But if you wait a few days or weeks and try again I'm guessing you'll get different results. 8)
:D No doubt!

Yep, it appears its one or more of the following:

1. Game over for the Mark series
2. The Mark V is for real
3. A new re-issue to replace the Mark I will happen

I'm thinking it's #2, the Mark V is for real.

gremmert said:
Yep, it appears its one or more of the following:

1. Game over for the Mark series
2. The Mark V is for real
3. A new re-issue to replace the Mark I will happen

I'm thinking it's #2, the Mark V is for real.
When I can feel the heat from the tubes, I'll believe it. Otherwise, I'm going with #1.
The Mark series is just too long in the tooth, and therefore un-marketable to the Youth-Of-Today, who demand the Very Latest Thing.

Holy crap, I can't believe it is out of production. I have only 3 mesa dealers within 100 miles of me - none of them carry the IV. Maybe if more dealers carried them, sales would be better. When I was looking to buy my Mesa, I was very interested in the IV, but without being able to try one, there was no way I was going to order it and wait 2-3 months just so i could try it. :roll: . If they do come out with the V, it will be interesting if any of the GC's actually inventory them.

insideout said:
Holy crap, I can't believe it is out of production. I have only 3 mesa dealers within 100 miles of me - none of them carry the IV. Maybe if more dealers carried them, sales would be better. When I was looking to buy my Mesa, I was very interested in the IV, but without being able to try one, there was no way I was going to order it and wait 2-3 months just so i could try it. :roll: . If they do come out with the V, it will be interesting if any of the GC's actually inventory them.

The reason no one inventories them is because they are made in smaller batches and they have not been selling that well. The Mark IV is a great amp, and I love mine, but there were several issues with them:

1: They weren't rectos, and that's really all Mesa seems to put their advertising money behind. Even though some high profile bands and players were using them, Mesa never touted that fact. Lamb of God use the Mark IV's, and they're one of extreme metal's more popular bands. JP is using the Mark IV again, and he sounds awesome. Pete from Chevelle uses the Mark IV.

2: They do not look like a modern amp. A Mark IV looks like an old amp, especially in the eyes of younger guitar players. Everyone is used to the large Marshall/Recto sized headshell. Even though tone should be the only thing that matters when buying an amp, looks do count.

GodBlessTexas said:
2: They do not look like a modern amp. A Mark IV looks like an old amp, especially in the eyes of younger guitar players. Everyone is used to the large Marshall/Recto sized headshell. Even though tone should be the only thing that matters when buying an amp, looks do count.

I love the compact head size of the IV. I won't be buying any "Mark V" that comes out if its only in a large sized head.

And to the OP.... what about the RKII would become obsolete? It still works, doesn't it? Or does being the "biggest and baddest" Mesa have some value other than tone?

sbalderrama said:
GodBlessTexas said:

I love the compact head size of the IV. I won't be buying any "Mark V" that comes out if its only in a large sized head.

And to the OP.... what about the RKII would become obsolete? It still works, doesn't it? Or does being the "biggest and baddest" Mesa have some value other than tone?

I own a compact head as well, and it is currently rackmounted, but what you and I own is not the point. For all intents and purposes, the Mark IV hasn't been selling well for some time, and that's why they killed it off, just like they did the DC and F series. Of course, one thing I was surprised to hear was that the Lone Star is also not selling that well.

Back