Is the RK a faithful Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Well? If not how close is it? I have a series 2 but sometimes think i dont get a sonic sounding enough gain with either my mccarty or lp standard. do i need a tube screamer. im thinkin bout buying a two ch dual rec..anyone know my problem's answer?

How loud are you playing it? What are your settings like?

I find that even with my amp properly set I don't get the sound I want without an OD driving the front, but that's me and I like lots of liquid gain. Some people find that it is more than enough.. ymmv.

i play loudbut yea i like lead tones that sound doubled...i dont really kno what u mean by liquid

I have a RK series One and I run the gain at 3:00 on the Vintage channel and get plenty of gain. You can hear it at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , it's the top left one on the Road King page.

I don't run a boost or anything in front of it.

What are your settings?? The trebble plays a big role in the amt of gain, make sure it's up around 12:00 or so (give or take a little). If all else fails, I'd be happy to swap my series one for your series II? (I'm still trying :wink: ).

I think the RK has plenty of gain well at first I didn't because I left the digital world behind, and stepped into a whole new one. I also use a OD pedal in front sometimes and it gets me a tad more gain for those special moments :)

Lead tones that sound doubled? You mean like a delay pedal set for a short delay?

Yes, the treble plays a big role, even the mids help too. Try using the amp with the Loops/solo & output bypassed that gave me different feeling to the amp. I'm not sure if its me, might be dreaming it, but the diode seems to add a little gain?

What are your settings?

i don't know about gain, but it does increase the loudness level. maybe at low volumes you can't tell, but when played and switching b/w tube and diode, there's a small fluctuation. the tube is a "built in variac," meaning it cuts the power a little, i believe through sag to the power transformer, which results in a bit of a squishy retro vibe...i may be wrong now, perhaps i meant that for the spongy setting...either way there's a looudness difference. diodes are definately tighter, but seems a little too stiff for me. my personal preference is bold and tube. good stuff there. i would use tube and spongy if i had el34s. my subjective taste.

i also suggest you use hotter pickups! mccarty and LP standard pickups are very closely modeled after each other. try the 400-500 series for les paul and HFS, tremonti, Dragon2, etc for PRS. if not try some emg's, or seymour duncans (not sure which duncans are hot tho)

Latest posts

Back