Is the mark Iv's distortion all pre amp based?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
I'm wondering because I have a hotplate and a volume pedal,
and I'm wondering if the volume pedal in the loop will work
as well or better/worse than a hotplate will.
I know the "mark IV' has a great master volume and sounds good at lower volumes yada yada yada,
I find all tube amps sound different depending on where their output levels are set.
The Mark IV to me really comes alive with the master and channel volume levels at 3 or above.
Even on Tweed in Class A on Triode mode on 3??...........................that is loud for in my house.

kmanick said:
I know the "mark IV' has a great master volume and sounds good at lower volumes yada yada yada,
I find all tube amps sound different depending on where their output levels are set.
The Mark IV to me really comes alive with the master and channel volume levels at 3 or above.
Even on Tweed in Class A on Triode mode on 3??...........................that is loud for in my house.
The distortion at "lower volumes" is almost exclusively pre-amp.
If you want the power tubes to distort, you must turn up the Master. Yes, it will be loud unless you use a hotplate.
This was the whole concept behind the Master Volume, to get distortion at less than ear-splitting sound pressure levels. A Master Volume enables you to turn up the pre-amp tubes with the Gain controls to get them to distort, while turning down the power tubes with the Master, to keep things quiet.
Hope this helps :D

MrMarkIII said:
kmanick said:
The distortion at "lower volumes" is almost exclusively pre-amp.
If you want the power tubes to distort, you must turn up the Master. Yes, it will be loud unless you use a hotplate.
This was the whole concept behind the Master Volume, to get distortion at less than ear-splitting sound pressure levels. A Master Volume enables you to turn up the pre-amp tubes with the Gain controls to get them to distort, while turning down the power tubes with the Master, to keep things quiet.
Hope this helps :D
Yes...and alternatively, to get power tube saturation you can turn the Channel Vols super low and crank the Master. I don't prefer this as I prefer preamp distortion with my Mark IV, especially with a couple of vintage Tung Sols in place.

The Channel Master function is virtually identical to the Output Level control. The individual Channel Masters are designed to match volume levels between the channels, and do not add or subtract gain per se, as the channel gain controls do.
Whichever knob (Channel Master or Output Level) is lower will determine signal strength to the output tubes. If the channel Gain is set clean, running the Channel Master very low and the Output Level high will result in maximum headroom and a cleaner, not more saturated, sound.
Going in the other direction and running the Channel Master high and the Output low gives you a slightly different, but still clean sound.
There is no free lunch. In order to overdrive the power tubes, the volume will be high - it will be loud.
BOTH the Channel Master and the Output Level must be set high to achieve power tube distortion.
UNLESS you're using an attenuator, like a Hotplate. These gadgets turn down the loudness AFTER the power tubes are distorting, thus reducing the signal which hits the speaker AFTER the power section has been cranked.

To recap:
Channel Gain works on the 12AX7 pre-amp tubes only. Lots of distortion, very little loudness.
Channel Masters work on the relative signal strength to the power tubes, like a mix control to balance the channel volumes. Must be set high to cause power tube distortion.
Output Level sums the the individual Channel Masters and determines signal strength to the power tubes. Also must be set high to cause power tube distortion.
The Channel Masters and the Output Level run in parallel. Whichever control is set LOWER will determine the ultimate signal strength sent to the power tubes.
Attenuators enable you to turn up the WHOLE AMP, including the power section, then reduce the loudness just before the signal goes to the speaker.
Jimi, wherever he is, does not give a sh!t about any of this... :lol:

Back