Is the Mark IV Rhythm 2 sound in there?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyrgawd

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've only been able to spend time with a MK V at noisy Guitar Center. I'm a MK IV owner and spend most of my time on Rhythm 2, with gain about half way up, but with pretty hot pickups (Lace Dually). I like to be able to go from 'pushed' to 'crunchy' with just my right hand dynamics. I liked the Tweed mode with the gain high, but in the store anyway, I couldn't get channel 2 on the MK V to sound like it does on my MK IV. Anyone go from a IV to the V, and can you tell me about the R2?
Thanks,
Orion

There are SO MANY MODES in the Mark V it's bound to be in there...

Honestly, I bet if you used Crunch mode on channel two (The mid gain mode) and turned your presence/treble up you could probably get a pretty good marshall/british rock tone if that is indeed what you're lookin' for.

Crunch and Edge IMO blow away R2 on the IV. If you mainly stayed on R2 with the IV you will absolutely love the V

Speaking from ignorance here. But it's definitely not going to be found in Channel 2. Edge and Crunch are british voiced (AC30 and JCM800 to my ears) and Mark I is obviously Mark I. If you're looking for it, most likely it will be found in the Mark IV mode in Channel 3, perhaps take the gain down a bit?

My MkIV has been very lonely since I bought my MkV! :D

Seriously, the MkV Blows away the IV in every way as far as I am concerned. Not only does the V offer 3 modes in each channel, but also 10, 45 and 90W power options in each channel, GEQ or Preset contour post EQ in each channel, footswitchable solo boost, etc...

Sounds like you like the tweed mode of channel 1. Me too...in fact, that is my go to mode in channel 1 for live performances, but all 3 modes of channel 1 sound fantastic in their own right.

Since you primarily roam in the middle gain ranges of channel 2 of your MkIV....I highly recommend setting the channel 2 of the V to "crunch" at a moderate gain level (12 o'clock).
The "crunch" mode of the V is extremely versatile and can capture a wide range of very usuable sounds with minimal effort IMO. Of course, as you already know with the IV......tone controls really do matter with Mesa amps....so work with them along with the gain and volume of channel 2. You may actually prefer a lower gain setting in Crunch mode to achieve a similar sound based on your normal IV setting.

By all means experiment with the power settings as well with all channels. I normally play in 10W for all 3 channels and I love the sound that I get during rehearsals and small venues.

The MkV has the best user manual that Mesa has provided to date. This one is definitely worth reading because it will allow you to understand the incredible flexibility of this amp and obtain great tones quickly!

BTW....I love channel 3 as well! :lol:

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back