is the Mark IV for me??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turmoil

Reaction score
currently i'm playing a 3 channel triple recto and i do love the amp a lot but i tend to use the 2nd channel in Vintage mode and often vintage mode on the 3rd channel. I really like that vintage sound because it seems to me to be a little tighter and aggressive.

so i was thinking, i know a lot of people say the Mark IV is a very tight amp that sounds great and then i thought maybe that's the amp for me? unfortunately, no one around me stocks Mark IV's so i don't think i'll have the chance to play one but i was listen to Lamb of God the other day and i really enjoy their tone a lot then i thought wait a minute...they use mark iv's!!!

i know this would be asking a lot but if someone with a Mark IV could possibly post some clips of them playing some faster metal type riffs that would be awesome. i'm just very intrigued by the Mark IV and i think i want to add it to my growing boogie family. :D
thanks!

Hi,

I play modern heavy rock and metal.

I own a single rec head (IMO Mesa's best recto design) and have played many, many Mesa models over the years including F series, Blue Angel, Dual and triple recs, all three Stilettos, both Expresses, Rocket 44, Mark IV and others. I had a Mark IV here on trial for a week or two awhile back.

I did not bond with the Mark IV. It does a lot of different sounds but something in its overall character just wasn't right for me. The gain was too brash, too fizzy for me. Don't get me wrong, I use a lot of gain. This amp just doesn't paint the colors I sought. To illustrate what I mean, I ended up buying an Orange RV50 to do the tones the Mark IV was auditioning for. By comparison the RV50, while sporting loads of gain and a decidedly modern character, is refined and smooth, and solos are more fluid and less edgy, spikey and choppy.

Have you thought of keeping the amp you have and adding another? I use dual rigs often, using one head for rhythm and the other for soloing, or both together depending on the task at hand.

You might love the Mark IV. If you're intrigued, give one a shred and see what YOU think. A great amp is worth a road trip.

hey man, thanks for the response!! that was some really good info!

i'm definetly going to keep my triple recto but i'm just debating adding a Mark IV to the collection. I am thinking about an ENGL because i've always wanted one but who knows. The mark IV is just very appealing.

Hi fella, heres my mark 4 and 2 ch dual playing live, see what you think,
i do a lead at the end if you want to hear a lead part.

http://www.myspace.com/sumerianeden

Back