Is my amp in danger...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystAlex

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I went through hundreds of post, but didn't really get a definite answer (probably because I'm not a tube-expert :) ).

Here's the deal... Started to have this low, humming sound, and a high end sizzle in my tremoverb, and last time I experienced that, I switched the power amp tubes, and that solved it, so I just did it again.

Only thing is, I'm still kinda on a quest for tone, so I decided to try other poweramp tubes, took out the mesas, and went shopping for something else. I'm from belgium, so not a great deal of choice here. Went to a store, and decided to try out some EH 6L6GC. I know some of you are not fans of these, but there wasn't a lot of choice, and I heard they were a bit tighter sounding.

I specifically inquired about biasing, since I know mesas are fixed bias, and I went to a shop with a very good reputation, because I wanted to make sure they knew what they were doing. You know, a shop in which they repllaced tubes on mesas all the time. Those guys said 'indeed these are fixed bias, but we always use these tubes in mesas, and it's not a problem'. I kept on asking if they were sure, but they were.

Tubes were rated:
Ip: 37
Gm: 4.7

I use my tremo with solid state rect. and bold settings.
The tubes were put in, sounded just fine (still need to fine tune of course), and the hum and sizzle were indeed gone, just like last time.

I just want to know if, according to you guys, I'm doing anything wrong, risk damaging the amp, or having my tubes last about 1 year (I used the 430's for about 3-4 years).

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Merci beaucoup, mais l'achat est fait, donc maintenant, je devrais simplement savoir si j'ai fait une gaffe...Ou a quel point je risque d'endommager mon ampli...

j'espère que les autres vont répondre alors... je suis pas le plus calé en technique... a priori ça joue plus sur la durée de vie des lampes... pas trop sur le reste... évidemment ça joue sur le son selon que la lampe chauffe pas assez ou trop... mais je suppose que tu connais ces trucs de base...

The STR430 IS an EH 6L6GC tube ! As for the rating it should be ok, but keep an eye out for red plating and strange noises just in case !!

Thanks for the replies guys... A bit less worried!
If anybody has any more input: keep it coming!

Latest posts

Back