Is it time for new tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I have had my Roadster for over a year. I had a great tone about 2 months ago, but now the amp just seems to have a blanket over it and sounds very dark. I am not liking it. The only thing I have changed is that I tried putting a RCA 12ax7a in the V1. Does it sound like I am due for a tube change? Will that bring the magic back?

The power tubes man... Check also the built in variac switch, remember that if you use your amp in bold mode, it would wear down the power tubes more rapidly...

Sounds like the power tubes. Mine started to go after a year. You'll need new ones sooner or later so may as well get them and try.

Thanks for the help. The tubes I am going to replace are the SED 6L6's. I am thinking of trying something different just for the heck of it. I was thinking of putting in KT88's. Anyone ever tried these with their Roadsters? If I do go with them, I am between the JJ's and the SED's.

Latest posts

Back