is it safe to unplug the cab with amp in standby?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloc80

Reaction score
is it safe to unplug the cab with amp in standby?
also,I know that in mesa power amps if you want to use them in mono connecting only one cab(left of right)mesa suggest to put the unused channel with presence max and volume zero..is it truly safe?
thanks

I'm pretty sure that it is safe as long as the amp is in standby. But you should wait for someone else to confirm...

yes stand by is OK, just give it a minute to really get into stand by mode before you unplug anything.

Only if you are standing there with another cab ready to plug in. What happens if you leave the unconnected-to-a-load-but-in-standby amp unattended and a three-year-old (or your girl friend) comes along and flips the switch to "ON"?

Only one sure way I know of is to never unplug your cab while the amp is on period... or just turn it off before you do it. If you accidentally did it and want to feel better... just don't do it again and consider yourself lucky that you didn't blow the transformer! :shock:

MrMarkIII said:
Only if you are standing there with another cab ready to plug in. What happens if you leave the unconnected-to-a-load-but-in-standby amp unattended and a three-year-old (or your girl friend) comes along and flips the switch to "ON"?

Or you could even get distracted and forget what you were doing. Shut it off completely.

ok,but in power amps mesa suggest to put the unused channel with presence max and volume zero when playing,with amp ON..is it truly safe?
is it dangerous only with volume high and with an input connected?

Back