Is it OK to mix power tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippingrudy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have 3 sovtek 6L6s and one Mesa 6L6 running in my F-100 head. Will this cause any problems?

Also, one power tube always glows a little more blue than the others. If I switch it out, the new tube I put in it's place glows the same way. Wondering if maybe the tube socket is fucked up? If you were looking at the tubes from the back of the amp the glowing one is the 2nd one from the left.

Thanks,
RR

rippingrudy said:
Hi there,

I have 3 sovtek 6L6s and one Mesa 6L6 running in my F-100 head. Will this cause any problems?

Also, one power tube always glows a little more blue than the others. If I switch it out, the new tube I put in it's place glows the same way. Wondering if maybe the tube socket is f%&# up? If you were looking at the tubes from the back of the amp the glowing one is the 2nd one from the left.

Thanks,
RR

quick answer, no not at all

If I was to mix tubes, I would mix them in pairs(inner&outer). Otherwise, quiescent current unbalance can cause hum to appear at the output. This is nothing to hurt your amp though.

Jaroslav said:
If I was to mix tubes, I would mix them in pairs(inner&outer). Otherwise, quiescent current unbalance can cause hum to appear at the output. This is nothing to hurt your amp though.

forgot to mention that..

My F100 is tubed that way. At least it was.. (cant remember) I had some old GE tubes on the outside and sovteks on the inside. Sounded fine.

rippingrudy said:
So, you should put 2 of the same tubes on the outside and two of the same on the inside?

Yes, sockets 1 and 4 pair together and sockets 2 and 3 do.

And glowing blue means that oxygen has gotten into the tube I believe..

Back