is a mark III a good brother for a JMP?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Punk

Reaction score
does anybody here have these 2 amps? I have a 79 JMP MV, same as early jcm 800s. I want something that covers a whole other spectrum of sounds, and ha good cleans.

any feedback is appreciated,

thanks

Sir Punk said:
does anybody here have these 2 amps? I have a 79 JMP MV, same as early jcm 800s. I want something that covers a whole other spectrum of sounds, and ha good cleans.

any feedback is appreciated,

thanks

I have an '80 JMP MK II 100W MV head and I love it. I had a good tech buddy (a wiz really!) add one resistor to the board (right at the input circuit area) and it opened that ***** up like crazy. He also set up a 60/100 switch that's a nice tone modifier. Thru my 4 x 12" straight G12M greenback cab, or my slant G12-65 cab, it's insane. With a few dirt pedals, this amp is scary!

I also have an '89 green stripe MK III combo that kills and it's hard to decide which amp to use at shows! The MK III is much more versatile, but that JMP crunch is so cool - and sounds a lot like the R2 on my Mark III, but with some different upper-mids going on there.... The Mark III R1 channel is a bit thin, but with a mild dirt pedal, it'll come to life.

I would really like to run them both and see how that sounds.... but it's wayyyy too much gear to drag to stupid club shows! A lot of folks claim that Marshalls and Mesas are like oil and water - that's BS. If you can dial in an amp rig, you can play either one or both. With the EQ function on the Mark III, one can do anything pretty much and that R2 does nail a pretty close Marshall tone - especially in the Class A mode.

And then, just to F things up even more, factor in another (Mark Cameron low-gain "Jose A." modded) amp; a '69 50-watt small box Marshall head..... It's really a toss-up! That 50 watter has been my workhorse for the last 3 years and has never even skipped a beat or dropped a note. All I get are compliments from everyone on the tone of that beyotch.

Sigh...... too many killer amps to decide on! LOL

Brian

Latest posts

Back