Is a Mark II C+ overkill for a Strat plus cabinet question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markchatwin

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get a Mark II C+ Head but I'm concerned that it may be a bit too much for a Fender Strat. First and foremost I want a good clean channel. This would be for jazz pop, '70's style chordal playing and clean lead. As far as overdriven lead goes can this amp provide a lightly distorted tone for blues or is this all out Metallica sounding? Also would a certain size cabinet be better for these "warmer" cleaner tones I'm looking for?

I know that the Lonestar is probably best for me but next on my list of guitars is a Les Paul so I wanted an amp that can cover alot of bases. Plus my guitar students like Nickelback... Thanks for any ideas...

It'll do your style with ease. You'll be surprised at how well it will do it. The previous owner of my C+ was a blues player. This amp only does metallica when you turn the gain all the way up, the volume all the way up, and scoop the EQ. When the volume and gain are low, it does amazing, amazing blues tones. The clean channel is seriously like a Fender. Remember the Mark series is based off a Fender design.

two - one on top of each other.. on the bottom a 1x12 mesa theile with a EV 200watt speaker and on the top mesa 1x12 half back with a 200watt Ev in it.. Huge!!!that was my rig tonight with my strat and a lead! Sounded amazing.. such a good amp it's scary?

Try putting a 5751 in V1 and V3 position.It will soften the gain some.Use a good NOS 5751,not the current prod.

Buy it!
There's only two reasons to NOT buy a C+
1. You can't tweak!!!
2. You can't play!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tony777 said:
Buy it!
There's only two reasons to NOT buy a C+
1. You can't tweak!!!
2. You can't play!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

or you're deaf, which would be unfortunate. everyone should hear a c+!

markchatwin said:
First and foremost I want a good clean channel. This would be for jazz pop, '70's style chordal playing and clean lead. As far as overdriven lead goes can this amp provide a lightly distorted tone for blues or is this all out Metallica sounding? Also would a certain size cabinet be better for these "warmer" cleaner tones I'm looking for?

What about a IIB? You'd save a ton of money and have an amp with great clean and moderate to hard rock gain sounds.

lockbody said:
markchatwin said:
First and foremost I want a good clean channel. This would be for jazz pop, '70's style chordal playing and clean lead. As far as overdriven lead goes can this amp provide a lightly distorted tone for blues or is this all out Metallica sounding? Also would a certain size cabinet be better for these "warmer" cleaner tones I'm looking for?

What about a IIB? You'd save a ton of money and have an amp with great clean and moderate to hard rock gain sounds.
I love the sound of my Strat through my C+...it positively growls! Plus, it's hard to turn down the opportunity to own a C+, at least for a while. And as Stokes suggests, a 5751 will really smooth out the gain and tame the beast, almost converting it to a IIC.

However, for the styles you're playing (similar to, but a bit "softer" than what I play), I would highly recommend a IIC for the following:
- improved fx loop and extra voicing option versus the IIB ("Gain Boost", really a bass boost)
- the only Mark II that remains upgradeable to a C+
- more "vintage" sound and feel than the C+. The voice of the guitar comes through better than the C+
- about $1,000 cheaper than a C+
- it's still a Mark II!

I love both my Mark IIs, and go back and forth as to which I like better. Having recently re-installed a 5751 in V1, I'm back in love with the C+. For me, the C+ is like the hot super-model, the mistress, who can ignite your passions and imagination, but with whom you wouldn't share your soul, whereas the IIC is like the faithful wife with whom you can build a happy home.

But either way, you can't go wrong! Mark IIs cover a lot of ground, growl like tigers, and are very musical amps. Remember the 5751 if you go with the C+. And consider an EVM12-L speaker as Shep suggests.

Thanks to everyone and the person from Ithaca (great advice). I'm from Syracuse, any chance on seeing your rig. Do you play out anywhere? I have a recording studio in N. Syracuse!

+1 on the MS-12 ... i like it the best out of all the speakers I've heard with my Mark IIIs ... so I imagine it would sound "right" for your purposes -

markchatwin said:
Thanks to everyone and the person from Ithaca (great advice). I'm from Syracuse, any chance on seeing your rig. Do you play out anywhere? I have a recording studio in N. Syracuse!
Hi Mark:
Sure! My girlfriend is out-if-town through Thursday (we live together), so if you want to come down this week you can really let the beast breathe some fire! (She doesn't share my appreciation for Boogie amps!) I also have a IIC and a Mark IV. PM me to make arrangements.
Frank

This has been a useful thread for me too. I've been in a more blues-oriented band lately and would like to break out the IIC+. The 5751's in V1 and V3 is a great idea, then maybe I could actually do the lead channel always-on thing and dial back the guitar volume for cleans. With the 100 transformer, maybe I'll have just the ticket.

Latest posts

Back