Is a DC3 worth $500?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
I just found a Mesa DC3 at Guitar center for $500. It sounds fantastic and it looks new. There's a vintage 30 speaker in it, is that the stk speaker? thanks for any info

$500 is steep for a used DC-3. Is it worth $500? That's an interesting question. I'm a DC-3 user, and have been for years. Would I pay $500 for one in pristine condition? Knowing what I know about the amp - Absolutely. Problem is, you could probably find one cheaper elsewhere. See if you can find any for sale on e-bay, and get an idea of prices people are asking, then go back to GC and haggle with them. If you have cash in hand, I'm sure they'll work with you.

The Vintage 30 is the stock speaker. These are incredible amps. Reliable, highly portable, and powerful as hell. Make sure it has the footswitch.

I had to haggle to get them down to $500. I tried ebay and there's nothing there. It does have the footswitch. I like that its so light and should easily do any of my gigs. The thing for me is I have a MKIV combo, which I love but the weight is a killer. Thanks for the info.

OK, no sweat. Like I said - if it's really in good condition, I would pay that much if I had the cash. The amp will handle most gigs up to about 150-200 people without even micing up. Bigger gigs than that you're probably throwing a mic on it anyway.

A strategy I've used at GC before is to tell them, for example, "sure, I'll give you $500, if you throw in a <something worth $50>", and it's worked. At least that way you feel like you're getting a break. Also, like I said, if you walk in there with $450 in your hand, they may take it.

I'm going back right now to see what I can do. If they don't come down or throw something in, I'm not taking it. I'll lug the MKIV. I have a feeling I'll miss the MKIV anyway. Thanks again

I think I paid a little more than $500 for mine, maybe closer to 600 with shipping. Best money I ever spent. A lot easier to dial in then the MK IV. I Typically use it as my main rig. I use the MK IV as a backup and outdoor stuff. Get it, you'll be happy.

Yeah,go for it,Jerry,you dont have nearly enough amps,hell I got a dozen in my basement and 4 or 5 out on loan,you got a lot of catching up to do,Bro.And I dont even gig anymore.But seriously,if you like it,you know $500 aint a lot for a tube amp these days,and whats it been,like six months since you bought an amp,c'mon you got a reputation to live up to in your band.

stokes said:
Yeah,go for it,Jerry,you dont have nearly enough amps,hell I got a dozen in my basement and 4 or 5 out on loan,you got a lot of catching up to do,Bro.And I dont even gig anymore.But seriously,if you like it,you know $500 aint a lot for a tube amp these days,and whats it been,like six months since you bought an amp,c'mon you got a reputation to live up to in your band.

LOL!!!!!!! it's funny because it's true. I just p/u a Baja Tele (really nice IMHO) so that alone will piss off our other guitar player, then If I walk in with a new mesa, LOL, it's almost worth the money. I think I'm going to pass on the DC-3 and hold out for a Lone star special. That amp is really nice, and it sounds great with the tele. This is my first ever tele and it really sounds fantastic.

$500 is certainly not steep for even an average condition DC3. These are the most desirable of the DC series and go for average of $550 to $650 depending on condition.

I've owned about 4 of these through the years and never purchased it nor sold it for less than $500, ever.

Back