Introduction and Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Hello Boogie Board people-

Just found your amazing board and was really happy to do so! I'm an original owner of a December '83 Mk II C (simul, EV12L, hardwood combo) that was + modded in early '84. Incredible amp even by today's standards. It has been my weapon of choice since that day when I first heard it there at the Petaluma factory. Just wanted to introduce myself and say "thanks" to you all for making this a very informative place. It's great to find this kind of virtual "family" of Boogie lovers.

Like most of you with these early MK I and II amps, I struggle with the tube dilemma. This amp never sounded as good as when it had it's original STR-415's. I have tried various substitutes from Mesa including the STR's 454, 425 (5881), 440, 447. Currently, I'm running the 454 as center pair and 425 in the outer pair. It sounds awesome, but still not as great as the 415's. I read here about the Phillips 7581A tube, and many of you think it's pretty close to the 415. Could someone characterize the sound/response of this tube for me as compared to the 415? What other tubes have you found to come close to the mark?

Thanks again and rock on!

Allen

Back