Intraducing R0394

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siggy14

Reaction score
Well My newest score, needs a retubing, although I think the power tubes are good, but the Pre-amps look realy old. I already have some JJ's on order and they are waiting at the post office for me to pick up tomorrow.

The head shell is beat, but the chasis is in great shape. Missing its feet and pilot light was burned out.

I put the blue piliot light in and still have the original Red. The green LED wasnt working when i first got it, reseated all the tubes after i took it apart and wiggled the green LED and now it works, maybe a loose sodder connection. I informed the seller and he said put it in the shop.

Besides being R0394 (under the 500 range) it was also hand wired on my 22nd birthday. Maybe a match made in heaven!

Came with original Recto Footswitch.

Anyway transformers read
And

Here are pics. http://community.webshots.com/album/556890446hlKvER

it already sounds great with the old tubes. Little darker then my R0005, but that could be because of tubes.

OKay im gonna get one...keep your eyes posted for me will ya, it will be no easy feet from Canada. Where all the first 500 Duals?any Triples made?

Nice catch my friend!

Like *you* need another old Recto...

So, when do we get to hear it? ;)

I will probaly be bringing it over to daves sometime this week. I am going to get the retube kit now.

Trust me, i wasnt really expecting to win it, usually the chrome chassis black diamond plate go for higher prices, I got it for $986 shipped, didnt realize it was a lower S/N still after i won the auction. I thought for sure someone was going to outbid my max of $1000.
eaeolian said:

siggy14 said:
I will probaly be bringing it over to daves sometime this week. I am going to get the retube kit now.

Trust me, i wasnt really expecting to win it, usually the chrome chassis black diamond plate go for higher prices, I got it for $986 shipped, didnt realize it was a lower S/N still after i won the auction. I thought for sure someone was going to outbid my max of $1000.
eaeolian said:

i got both of mine for under $1000 also. Too bad if I became poor and needed to sell 'em, I'd start by asking 1500-2000.

Won it?
I often hear people say they "won" rather than "bought" something on an auction site...strikes me as very bizarre.
but in this case, "won it" seems to fit the bill! congrats!

well technically I won the auction, not the guitar amp, bought the amp after I won the auction.

oyster said:
Won it?
I often hear people say they "won" rather than "bought" something on an auction site...strikes me as very bizarre.
but in this case, "won it" seems to fit the bill! congrats!

Have you noticed there's less bass on the "c" and a bit more growl than the later models? Growl not in the sense of pre amp gain but more interaction from the power tubes. I've noticed that the attack is more dynamic and "old school" Mesa sounding. ie MKII/IV.

What I have noticed is the C is more bright, same bass though. defintly more attack. i can almost match the D to the C by uping the presence. The D is defitnly more dark, with a little more gain.

Guitarzan said:
Have you noticed there's less bass on the "c" and a bit more growl than the later models? Growl not in the sense of pre amp gain but more interaction from the power tubes. I've noticed that the attack is more dynamic and "old school" Mesa sounding. ie MKII/IV.

siggy14,

one of these days when the neighbors are out or something i'll have to rip em loose and see if i can find those same differences. definitely interesting though and i'll keep it in mind.

I make sure to use the same cab and cables when I am comparing, I also set all knobs exactly the same on both amps and do a quick switch of the cables so the tone doesnt leave my head of the last amp i just played. The only thing different I have in my amps are tubes.

My R0005 had JJ's, the guy before purchased the kit so I am not sure if it was the high gain or not. I also do not know if he put the Phase inverter in the right spot. But the amp sounds great so i am not messing with it.

My R0394 Had JJ's as well, but i had ordered the 6L6's on the light side so i could run them in the EL34 posistion, and it was also the high gain kit. To say the least the amp still sounded dark. So then i switched it back to the Svets I got with it in the power section and put EH's and it still pretty much sounds exactly the same way it did with the JJ's, just darker then the R0005.

I noticed with the R0005 the presense knob has alot larger range, and where on my R0394 I have to have it set at half (noon) in order to come close to the R0005.

So I am wondering if the difference is in the presense knob itself, different values etc.. i find this on both orange channel and red.

Like i said it sounds like the R0394 has a tad bit of more gain, maybe that has something to do with the difference in sound.

Other thing I noticed in difference between the two amps is the difference between channels. With the R0005 there is a huge difference bettween orange being set on vintage and red being set on modern. With the R0394 there is a difference, but not as huge.

It could be possible you get different results, not all amps will sound the same and it could be my R0394 or my R0005 just sound different from any other early rec due to a number of different things.

Both amps sound great, not sure which one I would sell if i eventualy sell one. I love having the fifth rec ever made, but I do like the chrome chassis of the R0394, and like i said it was wired on my birthday so that makes it a little more special to me.

Elpelotero said:
siggy14,

one of these days when the neighbors are out or something i'll have to rip em loose and see if i can find those same differences. definitely interesting though and i'll keep it in mind.

Other thing I noticed in difference between the two amps is the difference between channels. With the R0005 there is a huge difference bettween orange being set on vintage and red being set on modern. With the R0394 there is a difference, but not as huge.

what does this mean? a difference in volume or tone? can you explain a little?

With R0005 when i go from Orange to modern I can tell instantly, the recto tone is there, but the modern is so much more in your face then it is on my R0394. Honestly the R0394 sounds warmer on the modern channel, where the R0005 sounds more brutal and in your face.

Elpelotero said:

what does this mean? a difference in volume or tone? can you explain a little?

hmmm...man i really want to test this out! ahhh i hate living in a townhouse! i only get to really rip em either when i go to miami or when neighbors are gone.

Latest posts

Back