Intermittent mid control

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
Recently, I noticed that channel 2 on my Express 5:50 combo sounded lifeless and flat and had less gain, fatness and punch than channel 1!

I suspected pre-amp tubes. Swapping the original tubes around did nothing. Replacing them with a new Tungsol and JJs that I had on hand made the amp sound better overall, though channel 2 was still wimpy compared to channel 1.

I decided to revisit the manual and fool around with the amp settings tonight. While doing this I noticed that 2's mid control did nothing! When I turned the mid control all the way up and the treble and bass all the way down the amp was silent (unlike channel 1 where it still produced sound with these settings)!

I opened up the amp and measured the pot with my DMM. The readings were good. I looked at the cap, it looked good so I put the amp back together figuring that I'd call the tech tomorrow.

The mid control works fine now! Channel two has it gain, fatness and punch back! I haven't heard the amp sound like this in quite a while! I hate it when I "fix" things without "fixing" them!

I think I'm going to open the amp back up tomorrow, spray some cleaner in the pot, check for continuity between the pot, leads and board and re-flow the solder joints at the pot (one of them doesn't look great).

Hi Don
Well you obviously touched on something loose and "fixed" it.
Now to see how long your repair lasts!
Healing hands. Well done.

Greg

Unfortunately, it's not repaired. I've just kept it unreliable. I'll look at it again later.

BTW, I don't want people to get the wrong idea and poke around inside their amps because some guy on the internet said that he did. I've been repairing amps ('50s -'80s Fenders) for many years. I'm not formally educated when it comes to amp repairs- I learned from amp techs, reading books and experience, but one thing that I know is safety. I know how to drain caps, what not to touch and what to touch (and how to touch it).

The soldering of the lead on channel 2's mid pot wiper was horrible! It looked like a beginner did it! There was a large blob of a cold joint and the wire's insulation was melted slightly. This was done at the factory. I removed this amp from the sealed carton myself back when I bought it a year and a half ago.

I de-soldered and re-soldered the joint, cleaned the pot and tested it. I should be all set. I won't know until I hear the amp tonight.

It sounds great! This amp hasn't sounded like this in a long time!

Latest posts

Back