Interesting LSC effects loop test

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1198

Reaction score
I have always thought that I preferer the LSC with the effects loop bypassed, but the difference in sound was so subtle between the loop on and the loop bypassed that I wasn't sure if it was all in my mind or not.

Well today I decided to do a blind test to determine if there is really any difference in sound with the loop bypassed or not. I setup my LSC so that the volume was the same regardless of whether the loop was on or bypassed. I also ran a patch cable directly from the send jack to the receive jack of the effects loop without any effects in the signal chain. I used only channel 1 for this test.

I then had my wife switch between the two modes without her telling me which mode she selected. I would then play some riffs and have her switch to the other mode and play the riffs again. I would then tell her which one I preferred. I did this five times.

All five times I chose the tone of the amp with the effects loop hard bypassed. Not once did I prefer the tone with the effects loop engaged. The difference that I noticed was that with the effects loop bypassed, the tone had a more bell like and punchy quality to it. The amp really seemed to chime more.

To be honest the difference in tone is very subtle and some people might not hear a difference, but I posted this for those other LSC owners that might find this test as interesting as I did.

I thought about doing the same test. I could swear that the tone was better bypassed, but I thought that it had to do with the level setting. I will try it bypassed and check it out.

Thanks!!!

Janglin_Jack said:
I thought about doing the same test. I could swear that the tone was better bypassed, but I thought that it had to do with the level setting. I will try it bypassed and check it out.

Thanks!!!

Post the results of your test. It will be interesting to see if you come to the same conclusion.

Was that the stock V3 12AX7 on the loop?
Have you swapped out other preamp tubes for improved tone?
If everything is stock, nice test... otherwise, it's kinda unfair. (I mean, if you're running Mullards in V1 and V2, and the crappy stock mesa in V3, of course it'll suck some tone.)

I've replaced other preamp tubes in my LSC, but haven't gotten to the V3 because it's so far "downstream" (and I've had to spend $$ elsewhere lately). But if the difference was truly noticeable, hmmm... a reason to buy more tubes!

I had retubed my LSC with all new tubes, (power and preamp). I tried the test, by putting a George L's patch cable in the send/return of the loop. I switched out the loop and set the channels to my liking. I then switched on the loop and set the Send Level to 12 o'clock. Then set the output to match the volume level when loop is bypassed. I didn't hear a big difference. There could be a very subtle one, but nothing I could really pinpoint.

I think the key here is setting the Send Level/Output level correctly. Otherwise, yes, there can be a pretty big difference.

Jack

Maybe it was the patch cable used that didn't sound good with the loop engaged. It's a variable; you can't discount it. You'll have to try different cables blindly as well to really do the test right.

Lifewithoutpain said:
Maybe it was the patch cable used that didn't sound good with the loop engaged. It's a variable; you can't discount it. You'll have to try different cables blindly as well to really do the test right.
Good point, although the cable that I used is a George L's, which are considered good quality cables.

Like I said, the tone difference is subtle but it is there. The amp still sounds great with the effects loop engaged, it just looses a tad bit of its mojo. I would say that most people could live with it. The LSC manual even states that there is a subtle difference in tone.

Janglin_Jack said:
I didn't hear a big difference. There could be a very subtle one, but nothing I could really pinpoint.

Yes, it is an extremely subtle difference, but there is a difference. That is why had to do a blind test to confirm. The amp really sounds about the same both ways, but it looses a little bit of it's bell (it's really hard to describe) tone quality with the loop engaged. I was pretty surprised when I found out that five out of five times I prefered the effects loop bypassed.

CodeTitan said:
Janglin_Jack said:
I didn't hear a big difference. There could be a very subtle one, but nothing I could really pinpoint.

Yes, it is an extremely subtle difference, but there is a difference. That is why had to do a blind test to confirm. The amp really sounds about the same both ways, but it looses a little bit of it's bell (it's really hard to describe) tone quality with the loop engaged. I was pretty surprised when I found out that five out of five times I prefered the effects loop bypassed.

I am going to try a few other tests. The first time I tried it, it was night and day, because I didn't balance the Send/Output volumes properly. Now that those are balanced, I didn't hear much. But I didn't do a ton of A/B. It was subtle enough that I felt there wasn't much to worry about, but I am going to try a few more tests.

Jack

Latest posts

Back