Insider news from Mesa!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no soul

Reaction score
Well in just the past few days Ive had the pleasure of meeting 2 current employees of Mesa on 2 different occasions.

Word arround the campfire is there IS a MkIV in the works, but it will not be tonaly very different from the current model. Supposedly it will be more PCB than currently and thats pretty much it. It most likely will have a few other bells and whistles beyond the current Mk, but probably nothing that out there.

On a slightly seprate note, both agreed hands down that 2ch Rectos sound better. One even recently built himself his own 2ch DR. And for the kicker............

BOTH PREFER MARSHALLS OVER MESA! ! !

Talk about a slap in the face....

Perhaps thats why they released the bloody stilletto. What a let down that amp was.

LMAO Wow @ them prefering Marshall's over Mesa's.

Any word on a low-watt small combo?

Im a former Marshall owner. Silver Jubilee 1987 bought brand new, great amp, also owned a 60 watt head and marshall 4x12 in the UK. Not exactley mesa high gain but it had a depth the mesa lacks in my opinion. Two very different sounding things I think.

As for the 2 channel 3 channel debate...yawwwn. Ill bet blindfolded, most people couldnt tell what they where listening to out of the two.

They may like Marshall, grass is always greener on the otherside I guess. I'd imagine alot more amp employees prefered Diezal.

Im gonna run them both side by side one day anyway...

who cares? :D

Both are great amp builders. I have had 4 Marshalls over the years. The best all around was a DSL50 - 'cause it had more sonic variability than the vintage ones. I had a 900 that was marginal but very loud at 100W.

I had an F50 that I didn't care for, but I really like my Lone Star Classic and an old MK2 that I bought used and it had some problems. I've had a couple of Fenders along the way, too.

Don't mean to ramble, but the bottom line to me is that M & M both have some great and some not so great products. They sound different, not worse, but different. If I building a stable of amps I would have some of each in the mix. And an Aiken Sabre.

If I could afford it, I'd have a LS Special.
As far as Marshalls go, my fav is the JTM45 through a GB loaded basketweave. For me, the JTM45 does the rock thang better than any other amp, granted, that's about all it can do, but it sure does it well... 8)
ax. :twisted:

actually neither liked the stiletto either.

One of them was an older guy who really only was into old blues, so I didnt suprise me that much when preffered Marshall.

The other guy was a metalhead, who didnt seem to really know what amp he wanted or liked, despite claiming to love DSLs yet not having one. He sold us a 5150 and a Line6HD (yuck)

As far as the small "super combo" which I heard rumors about earlier, its supposedly been nixed.

And Im sorry, there is a very distinct difference between the 2ch and 3ch models. When I first stumbled across this argument I didnt really believe it, but since then Ive played a lot of both, and even though I am a Mesa nerd, I dont think it takes a trained ear to pick out the difference in sound.

neantir said:
Perhaps thats why they released the bloody stilletto. What a let down that amp was.

i had two very specific tryouts with this amp. the first time... after reading mesa's description i thought it to be an EL34 voiced recto or something similar. and that was a let down. the second time i tried it, i tried it as a JCM killer, and it rocked my socks off.... now granted im sure its arguable or not if a JCM fanatic would say the same thing, but the approach of the amp is very important. :wink:

David.W said:
Im a former Marshall owner. Silver Jubilee 1987 bought brand new, great amp, also owned a 60 watt head and marshall 4x12 in the UK. Not exactley mesa high gain but it had a depth the mesa lacks in my opinion. Two very different sounding things I think.

As for the 2 channel 3 channel debate...yawwwn. Ill bet blindfolded, most people couldnt tell what they where listening to out of the two.

They may like Marshall, grass is always greener on the otherside I guess. I'd imagine alot more amp employees prefered Diezal.

Diezel? Did I hear you say Diezel?

I am a proud Mesa owner and do not regret getting my amp. But when I played through the Diezel Herbert, It kicks the Triple Rec's ***. That will be my next amp. Sorry but there are amps out there that will definitly be better than Mesa.

Dont get me wrong, I love Mesa. I hate Marshall except for the JCM 800. What im trying to say, so many flavors not enough money! :D

I have yet to hear a Herbert, but I have heard great things about them. I can't imagine paying $4000+ for an amp, but those things are almost worth it based on the name "Herbert" alone!

pau_leader said:
David.W said:

I am a proud Mesa owner and do not regret getting my amp. But when I played through the Diezel Herbert, It kicks the Triple Rec's ***. That will be my next amp. Sorry but there are amps out there that will definitly be better than Mesa.

Dont get me wrong, I love Mesa. I hate Marshall except for the JCM 800. What im trying to say, so many flavors not enough money! :D

I would sell my kids If I had any...Diezal is the highest priced amp head I think ive ever seen (bar vintage or historical of course). I think its a better head than the triple, no doubt, but I still have year to go. Next head is the diezal mabye 5 years from now.

Ill still use my doped up Mesa 4x12 though.

David.W said:
pau_leader said:
David.W said:

I would sell my kids If I had any...Diezal is the highest priced amp head I think ive ever seen (bar vintage or historical of course). I think its a better head than the triple, no doubt, but I still have year to go. Next head is the diezal mabye 5 years from now.

Ill still use my doped up Mesa 4x12 though.

dude, Im not trying to be a spelling nazi, but if you are gonna lust after a a non-mesa amp TWICE on a mesa forum, at least spell its name correctly.

As far as the stilleto goes, if I wanted a JCM, Id buy one.

If the spelling matters that much to you I apoligize. As it is Peter Diezel's last name and not a standard word in the english vocabulary I wasnt aware of the correct spelling.

Thanks,
David.

Latest posts

Back