Indoor or Outdoor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMatt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had a question to all of you that play out.

Which do you prefer playing, Indoor or outdoor gigs and why?

Thanks!

indoor.

no rain. no wind. consistently smokey. smells from old beer. :shock:

Outdoor is more fun cause you can crank the living piss out of your amp but indoor is more personal

It depends. Indoor gigs can be a hell of a lot of fun because I like the way the room ambience affects my sound. I also like the effect that 4 walls and a ceiling has on the drums. I feel like I'm more connected to what's going on.

But...I also love being able to CRANK things up outside. Even with a full-bore sound system it's very gratifying to be able to actually get the tubes burning bright and hot. The downside is that I tend to feel less connected with the other guys unless the guy working the monitor mix knows what he's doing. I don't get that feeling when playing inside.

Every summer we get to do some local festivals, and it's a real blast playing with a bunch of other bands. A lot of the festival gigs have a very diverse range of acts, and I enjoy that a lot. WE did one at the end of August - the band before us did an old school R&B thing (fronted by a chick), we're a jam band, the band after us did electric traditional Irish music, and the band after that was a bluegrass band that featured on banjo the guy who played banjo on Springsteen's latest record. It's always good to listen to stuff you don't usually get out to hear.

The worst gig we play is an outside gig in December - street Christmas festival. It's no fun playing in sub 40 degree weather.

i have an outdoor gig on satuday...should be pretty kool. We get to play in the middle of the street cuz its a blockparty, but i much rather prefer indoor gigs. Like 200 people squeezed into a little basement. Thats the ****!

in doors for sure,, we played outside 1 time and it stared raining lightly, then thunderstorms came out of no where,, no BS i just stared my solo to number of the beast(iron maiden) and they pulled the power off,, do to the storm,,, it went from light every where to black,,, thats metal :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

there were tarps over the pa speakers the sound board, my amp, and i got soaked, not fun

Indoors for sure. Much better sound and we still crank. I especially like it when we play a club with their own sound system and soundman, it gives me the chance to just relax and play.

I gotta go with indoor. I use one of these pups (see link below)...
http://www.clearsonic.com/a2-4_amp_shield.html

I get to crank it up, while at the same time have fun with a more intimate setting/croud. Best of both worlds :)

We played Bandranch....a festival near where I live....a couple weekends ago. Outdoors...big stage...great sound system. That was the most fun I've had onstage in years. thousands of people...ticketmaster event...I was lovin it.

Inside gets you better sound usually but outside requires more attention to the immediate environment. Things like trees and trailers or even nearby buildings will affect your sound. It can be fun though to crank your amp.

Back