impedance mismatch - should I worry?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomprs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yesterday we had a rehearsal with my band and I accidentally plugged my dual rec into an 8ohm cab through the 16 ohm output... I played about 15-20 minutes before I realized and changed to 8ohm output. Should I worry about having harmed my amp?

Tom.

Mesa's are pretty rugged, so you should be safe with that 100% mismatch, although it's safer to go low to high (16 ohm cab from an 8 ohm out). If something bad had occurred, you would have at least blown a fuse.

You may have stressed your tranny and power tubes a bit - but it shouldn't have done damage in that amount of time. To clarify MrMarkIII's answer - it is NOT safe to mismatch an 8ohm cab into a 16ohm jack, or a 4ohm cab into an 8ohm jack. But is IS safe to mismatch in the other direction - a 16ohm cab into an 8 ohm jack, or an 8ohm cab into a 4ohm jack.

as the others have stated, it's OK to go the right direction. I found it allows you to make your amp sound like it's working harder.

The example I'm referring to is running the 8ohm output from the TOV to a 16 ohm cabinet with two Greenbacks. Very thick sounding mostly due to the speakers but you can dial up the amp a lot and keep the volume the same.

Thanks for your answers! I've been recording with the Boogie this weekend and it works perfect ;) I think I will tape the 16 ohm output to avoid this to happen again in the future.

Tom.

Authorized Boogie said:
You may have stressed your tranny and power tubes a bit - but it shouldn't have done damage in that amount of time. To clarify MrMarkIII's answer - it is NOT safe to mismatch an 8ohm cab into a 16ohm jack, or a 4ohm cab into an 8ohm jack. But is IS safe to mismatch in the other direction - a 16ohm cab into an 8 ohm jack, or an 8ohm cab into a 4ohm jack.

mesa says it's ok, I've done it with no problems

thunda1216 said:
Authorized Boogie said:

mesa says it's ok, I've done it with no problems

This is MESA! Its safe to run a 16ohm cab to the 8ohm speaker jack on the amp. But NOT an 8ohm cab to the 16ohm speaker jack on the amp. Thanks!

this-is-sparta_zpsfc1b9247.jpg

And Mesa is definitely correct about their amps! :shock:

8ohm jack into 16 ohm cab but not 16 ohm jack into 8 ohm cab! In my experience, I prefer a perfect match, not a correct mismatch. The amps sound better for some reason;)

I for one am super impressed that Mesa has taken an interest in this website and is willing to offer a helping hand

Thanks Mesa!

Got a question about this matter...

I have a roadster combo... and it clearly came connected with the 8 ohm internal speakers... if i wanted to add a 8 ohm 2x12 cab how should i connect it?

thanks

ironjose said:
Got a question about this matter...

I have a roadster combo... and it clearly came connected with the 8 ohm internal speakers... if i wanted to add a 8 ohm 2x12 cab how should i connect it?

thanks
Plug both the combo's speaker cable and extension cab into the 4 ohm jacks.

Two 8 ohm loads in parallel is 4 ohms.

Dom

domct203 said:
Plug both the combo's speaker cable and extension cab into the 4 ohm jacks.

Two 8 ohm loads in parallel is 4 ohms.

Dom

Thanks Dom, as usual you have cleared my question... one more thou... the cable on the amp is too freaking short... I guess it wont matter if I add some kind of extension?... cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back