i'm stuck in the 90s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm stuck in the 80s. 80s thrash in my case. At least there are some good new Trash and crossover trash bands like Gama Bomb, Fueled By Fire and Toxic Holocaust. I'm trying to get into these new metal bands but I'm having a hard time getting into it, mostly because of the vocals.

I'm current. American Thrash Metal is at the helm of all the good metal music these days next to my Scandinavian countrymen.

all the main seattle bands, quicksand, helmet, godflesh, ministry, nin, jane's addiction, rhcp, living colour, just waaaaaaaaay too many to list.

I totally agree

BeavisandButtHead-banging-thumb-240x205-76670.gif

Spamds said:
80's metal all the way. Thrashing it up!

For me, 90's Death metal scene was the best that ever happened in extreme music. Cannibal corpse, Death, Napalm death, carcass...(getting goose bumps!) It also was the time Black metal started rising somewhere in the dark depths of scandinavia....

Same here. I was skate, with long hair and also excelled in sports. I fit in all the crowds. Except the Chess club of course. Thrash still charges me up like it did back then.

Vigo1999 said:
men, gotta tell ya, being a teen in the 80's was one of the best things that happened to me :twisted:

You ain't got the right stuff yet, character! There is always progression in Death metal, unlike other Metal genres. From Morbid Angel's old school death metal to Carcass's Grind to Cannibal Corpse to brutal death with Disgorge, and TECH-DEATH! Bands like Spawn of Possession, Defeated Sanity, Theory In Practice, etc. There's a few of 'em. I love the new stuff.
I appreciate the bands that push the envelope and make things exciting. Hail Satan!

Alright Rabies...pop quiz. Jack Endino...what is his significance to the Seattle scene and what was his band.

No Wiki!

I love the 90's too...Tool, RATM, Soundgarden, AIC, Rollins Band (Chris Hasket was a Rectifier abuser) Janes , RHCP stand out the most in my mind but too many to name. I still "find" things in my iPod I forgot about.
Gruntruck comes to mind.

Being a fan of Metal in the 80's I thought the 90's sucked ... at the time I couldnt stand that "new" Seattle grunge scene. I think that Nirvana killed metal. I saw GnR at Madison Square Garden in about 1991 and Soundgarden opened for them. I thought they were so horrible.

However, now being 2010 I dont mind a little AIC, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP etc from time to time.

Of course being in a band and in my teens in the 90's all I did was play cover songs of the alternative bands above because they were easy to play (on guitar.) LOL

TimeSignature said:
Being a fan of Metal in the 80's I thought the 90's sucked ... at the time I couldnt stand that "new" Seattle grunge scene. I think that Nirvana killed metal. I saw GnR at Madison Square Garden in about 1991 and Soundgarden opened for them. I thought they were so horrible.

As an early fan of the Seattle scene (finding Soundgardens Ultraomega OK by accident in 88) I was never that wild about Nirvana and never got all that excited by them even to this day. I had Bleach long before Nevermind came out, but thought they were too one dimesional. Soundgarden, Mudhoney, GreenRiver, Mother Love Bone, (which to those in the know was the foundation for Pearl Jam) the Melvins were some of the stand out acts of the Seattle "scene" not Nirvana. I think Nirvana were really the first to taste commercial success and put the region on the map. Ironically it destroyed them in the long run and I think anything the Foo Fighters have done is 100 times better than Nirvana IMO. Soundgarden pretty much outlasted them all and was the quintessential Seattle band IMO and quit when they should.

I do feel there is more to the 90's than just Seattle though and the whole "alternative" scene is worth a listen. It broke the stale mainstream hard rock scene of the late 80's, which GNR was standout act that broke the mold from that genre. But crap on the radio in the late 80's...Poison, Winger, Warrant, Extreme....garbage IMO. I did and do love the 80's Metal scene...Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer.

I saw Soundgarden on that tour in 91 and earlier right when BMF came out. They sounded incredible both times. Funny how one show can effect your opinon. My guess is crappy sound. A friend recently saw Metallica and Lamb of God in Cincy. Not being a fan of Lamb of God but knowing that Mark Morton used Mark IV's he was stoked to hear LOG anyway. He said they had a horrible sound and was very dissappointed.

clutch71 said:
A friend recently saw Metallica and Lamb of God in Cincy. Not being a fan of Lamb of God but knowing that Mark Morton used Mark IV's he was stoked to hear LOG anyway. He said they had a horrible sound and was very dissappointed.

Completely disagree. I saw them a couple years ago and it was badass. Wall of thunder. I was 100% sober too (water and turkey sandwiches at a metal concert).

Growing up in Seattle during the early 90's, I will always be partial to the grunge bands of that era.

Having said that, there has been really good metal bands coming out in the last few years.

Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, Devildriver, etc. all are awesome.

So my vote goes to the 80's, 90's and today!!! HA!

David Bowie has been avant garde and innovative throughout the decades. That's a respectable artist. Just like Miles Davis.

They are/were in a different level, no?

fluff191 said:
Growing up in Seattle during the early 90's, I will always be partial to the grunge bands of that era.

Having said that, there has been really good metal bands coming out in the last few years.

Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, Devildriver, etc. all are awesome.

So my vote goes to the 80's, 90's and today!!! HA!

+10

The rest of you sound like disgruntled symphony players after a new music festival.
"Man, there are no good modern compositions. All the good ones came out in the 1800s and 1900s." What is it with musicians getting stuck in the past? Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Back