I'm home!! - Boogie MKIII Blue Stripe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshboogie

Reaction score
My 2nd Boogie has reached me and wow, what an amp!!!

I have bought this non-Simul Blue Stripe (w/GEQ+Rev) as a Satellite for my IVb so I can run Stereo Delays etc off my TC G System.

However.....plugging this baby in, its apparent that it smokes the IV, I'm not a Metal Player by any means, I'm more in the Lukather/Schon/Carlton territory and this amp just has that Mesa Mark Sound that I have been after - think Schon's solo sound on Who's Crying Now....

I have read a lot about the Blue Stripe and its tendency to be bright/fizzy, but I can't see those statements being more wrong, this amp is just so creamy!!!!..

I have had numerous Boogies over the years - IIb, DC's, IVa, III Green, IVb and this one is the 1st amp where I have got "that" sound that I associate with Boogie Marks....

One Happy Man :D

I had a blue stripe once that definitely had a tendency to be fizzy unless I darkened it up with JJ preamp tubes was careful to keep the presence very low. Now I have a loaded purple stripe long head that just kills. I think these amps probably differ a bit from one to the next. Congrats on getting one that speaks to you, and hang onto it!

tubes and speaker combinations mean a lot to these amps also. i found i like the MS-12 best with my purple stripe ... fwiw

I love both of my Blue Stripes. My Coli just kills. No fizziness that I've come across, and the Coli has such a right low end, I can set it to sound like my Triple Recto. I never expected to get that kind of depth on a Mark!

I tried one sellers Purple Stripe, and I loved the amp, but R2 had nowhere near the gain I was expecting (I wasn't expecting much at all actually). I wanted it to be a slightly broken-up clean sound (kinda like a driven Fender), but was much "creamier" than I ever expected. I ended up passing on the amp, but I wish I had picked it up then.

Back to the R2 on the Blue Stripe, it seems to have way more gain, like approaching boosted JMP/JCM territory. I really got to install the R2 Mod, but my blue doesn't have the same R130 and R131 locations that I've seen on some of the write-ups around here, but I digress. The Blue Stripe has been my "voice" for a few years now, and I've got tons of "you're playing a what?" comments. People seem very surprised at the modern tone I've been able to pull from this old "gramplifier". I think I'll always have a Blue Stripe in the studio.

On a sidebar, if anyone has some detailed pics of their Blue Stripes with the R2 mod performed my Mike, can you post them up? I want to see where the leads from the R2 mod connect...

The III is only fizzy if you don't dial it in correctly. There is loads of crunch and aggression in these amps. Congrats on the amps!

Back