I'm fed up !!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgang6505

Reaction score
So I was messin around with my dc-5 today and it still has all the problems I explained before in a previous post. But today I learned something new. I plugged my marshall jcm 800 in to the power amp section by going from the marshalls fx loop send to the mesa's fx return and the sound came through very muffled. The tone was great but it was very very muffled, not clear at all.

I use to run my marshall through a 350 watt power amp. I always hooked it up the same way I hooked the amps together today. It never sounded like this....I know there is nothing wrong with the marshall.

So after I experienced this with the mesa, I unplugged everthing and played directly through the mesa using the mesa's preamp like normal and just tried plugging in a short patch cable in the mesa's fx loop from the send to the return. It sounded normal just like it always does. Not muffled at all.

I'm stumped why it sounded like **** when I used the marshall.
Is it because the fx loop is parallel on the mesa?

I did learn that all the windy type noise that the mesa has is in the mesa's preamp. When I was using the marshall's preamp through mesa's power amp it wasn't noisy at all, nice and quiet so.... I'll have to check into the preamp's problems closer. But why the mesa went muffled(no clarity at all, just bassy and muffled) when I tried to use the fx loop like this I don't know. I've used the mesa's fx loop with effects and it didn't do this, the effects just sounded great like they're suppose to.

I hope you guys can tell me something on this here because I'm so pis*ed :x :evil: off I'ld like to just sell the amp and be done with it. But I love it at the same time aswell as probably not being able to get much for it like this.

wolfgang6505 said:
So after I experienced this with the mesa, I unplugged everthing and played directly through the mesa using the mesa's preamp like normal and just tried plugging in a short patch cable in the mesa's fx loop from the send to the return. It sounded normal just like it always does. Not muffled at all.

I read from this that your amp works OK when no other equipment are connected to it? If so I would suggest you to keep it that way. Or, do you absolutely need something else besides your guitar (and speaker cab if head) hooked to it?

Well, normal for my amp is acting up all around. I like plugging into amps dry.

My amp works, it's not dead completely. It just sounds thin as h*ll. There's something wrong with the Preamp. It's not the tubes or sockets. It's noisy and doesn't work like it should. Not normal noise, when I pull the ryth. channel gain boost the thing distorts like a 6.5 size car speaker being pushed by a cranked house reciever that is 120 watts per channel. And it cuts out and then in real fast just for a second when you strum hard.

IF THE PREAMP WORKED RIGHT I WOULDN 'T BE POKIN AROUND WITH OTHER PREAMPS THROUGH IT.

The power amp is ok!!! WHY DOES MY EFFECTS LOOP NOT WORK FOR PATCHING IN AN EXTERNAL PREAMP. EFFECTS WORK GREAT THROUGH IT !

I KNOW THESE DC'S SOUND GOOD BUT MINE IS NOT WORKIN RIGHT IT NEEDS SOME SERIOUS ATTENTION!

IT WOULD DELIGHT MY LIFE TO BE ABLE TO PLUG RIGHT IN AND PLAY THIS AMP. I GET NOTHING I LOSE, JUST LIKE MY SIG. SAYS

Wolf, maybe take a break from freakin' over the amp and go read the above book. :) With all due respect, from the description of the situation I have no idea where to start wondering about the amp's problems.
1) IMHO, there is no such thing as ' good tone' which also can be described as 'muffled'.
2) You say there is nothing wrong with the power amp....sounds great with effects. Are you saying that when you run effects through the effects loops that the sound is good....that is, no longer 'muffled' as when running the amp dry? Effect loop connections?
3) You say the amp distortions unnaturally, cuts out, only hard strumming sends a signal...however bad? Power tubes, possibly. OPT?..but probably not.
With regard to the recommended reading, sometimes it is necessary to step away from a problem, refresh and return with an open mind. Frustration can be a blinding trap.
The amp will live again, Wolf.
8)

Just a Thought: Call Boogie and decribe the problem to a Boogie tech. Then you might try taking it to a Boogie authorized dealer for repair.

Yeah, I Apologize for losing it over the amp. I 'm settled now. I think I'm gonna call and maybe ship the amp to mesa and see what's up, even if it's alittle exspensive.

All of this flap over an amp that simply needs service? I'm sure there must be amp techs in Pennsylvania.

Yeah I know, No one here seems to want to post anything useful about my technical problems, even though I see everyone posting helping out with others problems...Bunch of nice folks

wolfgang6505 said:
Yeah I know, No one here seems to want to post anything useful about my technical problems, even though I see everyone posting helping out with others problems...Bunch of nice folks

I would be happy to help my knowledge is limited. To me these symptoms point to a bad connection/solder joint or component in the preamp section but which one?

wolfgang6505 said:

Wolf, I am far from being the best Boogie tech around, but I did ask a question and made a suggestion or two. Long distance help demands...as does hands on, face-to-face also...good descriptions of problems. I would suggest that one needs to be calm and systematic about understanding and describing symptoms in order to give someone a fair shot at analyzing the situation.
I had a Rivera in the shop that exhibited one of your problems....only hard strumming would get any kind of signal through...and the result was less than desirable even then. A bad power tube was the culprit. I have heard of effect loop connections causing symptoms somewhat like your amp's.
Whatever the problem with your amp, I am sure that it is curable. In my experience, bad descriptions of problems are worse than no description at all. Good luck.

I am wrong to say that nobody wants help me out, I 'm not full of Technical advice myself. Wally, I think your right about me going off the handle in describing my problems. I'll slow down and calm down from now on! I'd like to say Thank You to all that have posted concerning my threads. Like I said, "I 'm not full of Technical advice so I shouldn't exspect everyone else to be aswell."

-Wolf

Wolf writes: "You get nothing You lose Good day Sir..."

The Stones wrote: "You can't always get want you want....
but if you try sometimes, you get what you need."

8)

Listen Wolf, call Boogie, if a tech is busy they WILL call you back. It could be a very simple problem that a local tech could fix. Now, I said it twice.

Yeah, put it in the shop. :D Or, sell it to me. :D No offense, but I couldn't resist.

It can't be anything that major. I have a DC-2 that needed a new output transformer. I put a very nice Heyboer from Mojoton on it and the amp is practically brand new.

Even if it costs you some money, it's worth it to get your amp back up and running.

Monsta-Tone, I'm sorry I haven't got a chance to send you some pics of the amp. Maybe I 'll just post some pics on here instead so everyone can check it out. I'm not offended in any way :) , if I would want to sell it I'll let you know. For now I'm gonna call Mesa this coming Monday and just talk to a tech about it and see what he thinks. :)
-Wolf

Latest posts

Back