**** I'm confused again!!! Electra Dyne or Mesa 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
I was looking long an hard in buying the Electra Dyne amp. I listened to sound clips and heard it live and it sounded awsome. Now I stumbled upon this clip on youtube on the Mesa 5:50 and it sounds awsome also! I think it is also more flexable because of the two channels as well as the 5 watt 50 watt switch and tone conture knob. So I'm back to square one.

I can pickup a Mesa Electra Dyne for about $2200.00 new. I'd buy a used one but there are not many used ones on the market around here. Now I can pick up a used 5:50 for under $1000.00 that is quite a savings, and I can find the 5:50 on the used market quite easily.

Here is the Mesa 5:50 clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y_eQGlfbn0
I posted a clip on the Electra Dyne in my previous post if your interested.

Let me know what you think!

I have owned an Express 5:50 and it certainly was awesome. The 5 watt mode wasnt a big selling point, IMO. I really liked the tone. It was fairly versatile and the contour knob sure was fun to play with. 2 channels. Pretty cool. I was still looking into buying a used Express 5:50 head as I sold mine like an idiot to fund another amp.

HOWEVER! I just got back from Guitar Center after going there specifically to play the ED. I had heard a lot about it.... heard clips, they sounded OK. I even played one on two different occasions and really didnt see the fascination. After tonight I have since changed my mind. I now know what people rave about it.

The ED sounds a little less muddy, more of a biting tone. More bottom end. 45 / 90 watt option, which to me really doesnt make or break any deals. I suppose the 45 watt would be fun to crank to see exactly how much gain you can get without making you completely deaf... only maybe in the ear closest to the speaker.

I maxed the "volume" which is the gain on this amp on the hi mode. It got pretty saturated. Absolutely killer tone. I ran a tube screamer in front and it was heaven. 3 channels. Very awesome amp. I say if money is an issue, you wont be disappointed with the 5:50 but if you can swing it, go with the ED. It has one more channel (Ok, "mode" not channel) and a more usuable power option (45/90 vs 5/50.)

I played thru a 1x12 combo going for $1699.

Thanks for your opinion I really do appriciate another guitarists opinion. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.

I'll have to go have a listen to both amps at the same time to decided. Don't know if that will be possible at my local music store.

Lets hope they have one of each!

Thanks

I like the 5:50 for the clean channel. Drive channel not so much.

My biased opinion, no contest ED.

Clean channels they are comparable, but hi/lo, there was nothing on the 5:50 that came -close to the tone I was looking for.

Maybe for you that is different.

I think if I got a 5:50 I would have to run some pedals to get the overdrive I wanted. Not that the 5:50 doesn't have enough, it just didn't sound the way I wanted. And for muted palm stuff, atleast when I played it, I couldn't get what I wanted. With the right settings and pedal it could probably work though.

Where are you that the ED cost so much?

My combo cost $1650 (or thereabouts, maybe it was 1699) new.

Well....I traded in my 5:50 1x12 for my 2x12 ED.
I like them both, but the ED was waaaaaay more versitile for me. YMMV.
One day, I'll get another 5:50.
Every time I fire up my ED, the tones just blow me away like no other amp
I've owned.

Just be advised that you can get an ED 1x12 combo BRAND NEW for around $1512 from a retail licensed dealer with the full warranty intact.

Delivered to your doorstep final net cost, that is. Completely legitimate. :)

I did it.

If you play the ED and the Express together- AB everything you want to AB- I would put $$$ down that the Express will be lonely after you take home the ED....the ED (IMHO) is better in every measurable catagory...that's also a reason you *wont* find many on the after/used market. Nobody sells them.....

Well, Since I am located in Canada I guess thats part of the reason they are more expensive. The best price I can get a 112 ED here is about $2370.00 after taxes.

I'll be heading down to my local music shop tomorrow and I will see if you guys are right about which amp I take home. I will let you know for sure.

Thanks for the advice guys its much appreciated!

I'm also a 5:50 owner getting serious GAS about the ED. The video in the original post sure did show the strengths of the Express though. I like the amp, I just think the ED might be better. I haven't played it yet but I will. If I like it I'll be considering a head/cab, though. The combos are just too massive for me. Then I'll also have to think about which cab to get: 1x12 or 2x12. Anyone A/B'ed those two cabs yet?

Well, I'm not confused anymore. I recently sold off my Mesa Boogie Stiletto and bought a brand new Electra Dyne. It wasn't cheap but I think I made the right decision. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I will soon post my comments on this amp.

So far I'm very happy!

skunizzi said:
Well, I'm not confused anymore. I recently sold off my Mesa Boogie Stiletto and bought a brand new Electra Dyne. It wasn't cheap but I think I made the right decision. I'm still in the honeymoon fase but I will soon post my comments on this amp.

So far I'm very happy!

There is no honeymoon phase with this amp... It just goes on and on and on....

NO Contest. I owned an Express 5:50 1X12, a Lonestar 2X12 and now I have the ED. imho it isn't even close...HANDS DOWN... ED!!!! It just keeps getting better and Better!

Everytime I play it just seems to sound better and better. I keep looking for something to not like about the amp but there is nothing. IT JUST SOUNDS GREAT. It is all I need.

The 5:50 takes pedals better then most amps I've ever owned ...
but it's OD channel pales in comparison to the ED's..

So with that being said. the 5:50's cleans are much more my preference when it comes to getting a spanky clean tone...

Latest posts

Back