IIC+ mania

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesieBooga

Reaction score
I couldn't stand it! I bought the EBAY IIC+ for big dollars! I am selling one of my great IIC+'s with NEW SHELL if anyone is interested.... to help pay for the new purchase. :cry: (I want a combo and have 2 heads) See the Classified section if interested!

Wow !!!

Just to let you know, it has the .05 mod to the OT to limit oscillation at high volume ( Big orange drop between the power and preamp board in the middle). The bias caps are new and it has the lead channel .001 mod and new plate load resistors to the V4 lead channel(270K and 82K). It has the 105 and the good taper master volume pot as it is wired in the early style before the 22K series resistor. I cant see if it has the 10pf mod on the clean channel.

It is a very nice example.

Nice amp, and thank you for pushing the market to making it the 59' burst of the amp world.

I noticed it drop to the bottom of my "watched items" list. Someone had to do it. Congrats!

I'm glad it went to someone who is going to appreciate it and take good care of it.

Boogiebabies said:
Wow !!!

Just to let you know, it has the .05 mod to the OT to limit oscillation at high volume ( Big orange drop between the power and preamp board in the middle). The bias caps are new and it has the lead channel .001 mod and new plate load resistors to the V4 lead channel(270K and 82K). It has the 105 and the good taper master volume pot as it is wired in the early style before the 22K series resistor. I cant see if it has the 10pf mod on the clean channel.

It is a very nice example.

Nice amp, and thank you for pushing the market to making it the 59' burst of the amp world.

Thanks for the info! 8) I'll copy this and save it with the amp. It's over my head now! :oops:
Funny you say that! He's going after a '58 Burst so he's selling his stuff!

MarkPurney said:
I noticed it drop to the bottom of my "watched items" list. Someone had to do it. Congrats!

I'm glad it went to someone who is going to appreciate it and take good care of it.

Thanks! I will enjoy it, And I will take very good care of it. I hope it's money well spent! :shock:

MesieBooga said:
Thanks! I will enjoy it, And I will take very good care of it. I hope it's money well spent! :shock:
Of course its money well spent! and there's only a finite number of C+, so it can only grow in value. Well done!
Ian

Got the amp! :D Sounds and looks fantastic.
I retubed her with a Mullard, some Groove Tube Mullards, and a couple Mesa (Chinese and Russian) preamp tubes.
I also ended up with 4 Mesa 6L6 440's in the amp in SimulClass Mode. It seems to sound better than the 2 EL34's that way. But I've only begun to experiment.
I was suprised that she beat my #1 IIC+ in a little low volume side by side tone war. :shock:
I'm happy! :D

I'd love to hear more about your and evryone else's experiences with differences between Simul with 6L6s vs. El34s.

Hell, I have three and they all sound different at the same settings with the same tubes. The taper on the pots are all over. Like Rich Ray used to say," If your amp sounds too bright on 7, turn it down to 6". It's the same amp, but the componentry is all over the map.

Back in 84 when I ordered mine, it shipped with 46L6's... I never heard mention of EL34's until years later.... and I was like "What ch'u talkin' 'bout Willis?"

I still feel strange using the EL34's... like they're not supposed to be there.

Dasein said:
Back in 84 when I ordered mine, it shipped with 46L6's... I never heard mention of EL34's until years later.... and I was like "What ch'u talkin' 'bout Willis?"

I still feel strange using the EL34's... like they're not supposed to be there.

Not supposed to be there! Thats so cool to know, because as far as I know thats what I thought the SimulClass meant! This is strange! :?:

The SC15219B secondary is 1700 ohms yet Mesa still used 470 ohm screen grid resistors on the outer sockets. Today they use 2.7K on the outer sockets which is more in the area of an EL34 grid resistor. The funny thing is on all the Simul-Class amps I have seen I have only seen screen grid resistors blown up on the 6L6 sockets. Mike B. also reccomends to connect pin 1 and 8 to ground if you are running EL34's.

On that low volume side by side test, you have to open the later ones up more on the power amp. Remember they have a 22K series resistor due to the bad taper of the later CTS Taiwan pots. Your new amp has a USA made CTS Master with a decent taper. The best time you will have is when you really find the spot. I generally run the Master at 5 in the lead mode and the lead master at 1-1.5-2 to blend in just enough preamp and a ton of power amp. It is a monsterous tone like early EVH. Forget about using the clean channel when you do this or you will need a few windows replaced. You new amps is one of the early ones. I find them to be chewy and fat with just the right amount of agressivness. I find the later one to be more agressive. The early ones without the series master volume circuit just seem to be more open and sound a bit bigger. IMHO the later ones seem to shred and appear to have more gain. My head is ridiculous. It has more gain than Godzilla. The hardwood and the head are later models and seem to have more gain, so it does get tricky to find the same balance as the early one. It really takes a while to get used to blending the masters on them. One may like 4 and 2 and the other might like 2 and 2. You may also find that they all seem to shred better when you run your lead master at 3-4 and your Master at 1-3. It adds a ripping shred quality. These amps are really master chamelions. And dont forget you can do Carlos with the EQ off !!!!

You are in a very elite club now. You have the "Grail of Grails". A perfect example from the dawn of shred. Dont feel too much remorse, the value will catch up soon enough. As PRS-IAN said, " there are only a finite amount". Less than 750 total were simul-class, not alone hardwood, graphic, eq and reverb. You need and EV or a Knight Rider 150W Black shadow in that thing to make it bone stock.

Now if it just had the export transformer......

Remember, It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Note to self: End Mesa IIC+ Manifesto.....

Yesterday I arrived at a late afternoon gig (strange Outdoor Gig on a Race track for Miller Beer!) and brought my new baby. I also brought my Standard Slant Cab with V30's.
Since we were at a Race track and the cars were racing around the track, I got to do a rare "stage volume" sound check with my new amp. It sounded great and the other guys thought so too.... but.... something seemed wrong.... I thought maybe it was from being outside that the tone wasn't quite what I remembered it being in my basement the day before. (although still kik @ss)
I tried changing the Phase Inverter Preamp with a GT 12ax7M just for fun, and since I had the time. (aside from only drinking the free Miller Lite's they offered us) It was the only tube I hadn't changed the day before. Warmed it up a bit but it seemed less gainy than I like. Hmmmm.... all the controls are in my FAVE spots.......... than suddenly I saw that 3 of the 4 PULL knobs that I usually have out were pushed in! HA!!!! :lol: No wonder!! I cranked them out and hit an A5 chord... THERE IT IS!!! 8)
I forgot to check that the "Pulls" were out like I normally set it up.
There was my tone, but fatter and warmer than my later former FAVE, non Simul, (Jan '85) IIC+ head. GREAT TONE.
Another gig tonight, I could barely sleep in anticipation! :lol:

Latest posts

Back