II-C Footswitch Turn Reverb Completely Off or Just Down?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercedesrules

Reaction score
I just bought a dual footswitch for my Mark II-C to control the graphic and reverb. The footswitch turns the EQ on and off just fine but only turns the reverb down about halfway. I can still clearly hear the reverb both ways. Is this a design flaw or should I call the factory? The amp was just in for a tuneup. :?

JOEY B. said:
Look at the users manual on the Mark IIC on MESA's website. It is working properly.

I had already looked at the manual, Joey. I can't find where it specifically mentions that the reverb footswitch doesn't turn the reverb completely off. Could you please direct me to the page and paragraph? I see where it mentions the reverb footswitch but not that it only turns it down.

Edit: Well, I finally found it...on page 4 of the Mark III manual! :shock:

I'm not sure how/why Mesa expected me to look there! :p

My IIC+ shuts off completely.Dont see the point in having a switch that only shuts it half off.Have to take a look at that MKIII manual.

Again, it's a Tip Ring Sleeve jack that gets switched via a stereo plug. The tip grounds or opens the circuit for the reverb and the sleeve grounds or opens the signal to the EQ. The MK III is the same and uses the same method to engage the R2 relay.

What kind of footswitch is it that you are specifically using?

In the MKII's it should shut it down completely by opening up the ground connection,like zool said it could be a dirty contact not completely opening up the ground connection.Since you have the EQ and Rev. it should be a stereo jack,like zool said.Mine has no EQ so it uses the mono.Get some contact cleaner and spray it into the switch itself.You can also spray some on the jack plug and while it is still wet push it in and out of the jack a few times.To spray it into the switch just spray where the button enters the switch it will get inside,then push the switch on and off about ten times or so.

stokes said:
My IIC+ shuts off completely.Dont see the point in having a switch that only shuts it half off.Have to take a look at that MKIII manual.

"REVERB
Like the Presence, this control is located on the rear panel of short chassis amplifiers ... because there's no more room on the front and
they seldom require adjustment. The Mark III's reverb is by far the best we've ever had; its performance is hard to equal even with
expensive outboard effects. And the Reverb Footswitch also works uniquely: rather than merely switching the Reverb on and off, it
allows you to maintain a good background level then footswitch up to a dramatic, fully drenched reverb for a special effect.
"

Apparently, I have this type at II-C, serial #12054.

zool said:
Again, it's a Tip Ring Sleeve jack that gets switched via a stereo plug. The tip grounds or opens the circuit for the reverb and the sleeve grounds or opens the signal to the EQ. The MK III is the same and uses the same method to engage the R2 relay.

What kind of footswitch is it that you are specifically using?

A brand-new Mesa footswitch made for this specific purpose and sold to me this fall.

mercedesrules said:
stokes said:

"REVERB
Like the Presence, this control is located on the rear panel of short chassis amplifiers ... because there's no more room on the front and
they seldom require adjustment. The Mark III's reverb is by far the best we've ever had; its performance is hard to equal even with
expensive outboard effects. And the Reverb Footswitch also works uniquely: rather than merely switching the Reverb on and off, it
allows you to maintain a good background level then footswitch up to a dramatic, fully drenched reverb for a special effect.
"

Apparently, I have this type at II-C, serial #12054.

I would call Mesa to verify what you have.If it is a IIC I dont see why it would have the reverb circuit from a MKIII.The switch you have is brand new it shouldnt be dirty.

In the IIC literature it stated that the reverb was a two mode type where you could go from ambiet to slap back. I have never seen a IIC or played one so I think this may be an issue.

zool said:
In the IIC literature it stated that the reverb was a two mode type where you could go from ambiet to slap back. I have never seen a IIC or played one so I think this may be an issue.

Doesnt say that in my manual,and I dont see it in the one on the Mesa web site.Where did you see it?

Must be something they removed in the IIC+,as mine is just on/off.Mine also is non simul and non EQ,maybe that has something to do with it.Did that paper come from the Mesa website?

I wasnt infering it was a fake,just wondering where it came from,as there is no reference to this in the IIC manual,and mine shuts off when I shut it off.

Back