If you live in NYC and need your MESA worked on

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..and yet there is more country side in New York then there is city.

The thing is, there is more city in New York than there is in most other states. It's easy to equate New York as being just city. Try going to Chicago and telling someone you are from New Mexico. All I got was, "You don't look Mexican." :lol:

Neptical said:
Not saying that there aren't any good folks in the city ( I know quite a few ), but
the further upstate you go, the more mellow the folks are due to the more laid back atmosphere.
Some of the best people in the world are there. Hell, I was born and raised in Brooklyn and worked jobs from truck driver to Wall Street exec. While upstate (where I now live) is certainly mellower, there is also less emphasis placed on accumulating large sums of wealth. From this money focus, NYC residents tend to view others as either stepping-stones or obstacles to achieving this goal...or any goal for that matter. They also seem more apt to take advantage of someone, requiring you to always be on your guard. This coupled with the sheer number of people and the hyper pace creates a stressful environment: you're always fighting someone or something, then go home to your cramped apartment in a building filled with misanthropes who are at best indifferent to each other. The outer boroughs are much more neigborly, but Manhattan seems to have a higher concentration of self-serving individuals. In my experience, these attitudes are less prevalent in upstaters, although there ARE a$$holes everywhere. They're just easier to identify and deal with when their numbers are lower!

Please forgive the rant. I spent half my life fighting the place while enjoying the many distractons and temptations available for sale or rent. By the time I hit my 30's I'd had enough, and felt as though I was released from purgatory when I found a new life upstate...but that's just me.

dodger916 said:
Some of the best people in the world are there. Hell, I was born and raised in Brooklyn and worked jobs from truck driver to Wall Street exec...
The outer boroughs are much more neighborly, but Manhattan seems to have a higher concentration of self-serving individuals.

I totally agree. I grew up on Staten Island with family in Brooklyn. It's a whole different world than The City (Manhattan). We used to take the ferry into the city just to people watch because you would never be disappointed. At times it was like a living circus. Granted, back in the 70's & 80's the city was a rougher place with crime and graffiti at an all time high. Since 9/11 it seems the attitude changed. I don't know if for the better. I left for Texas 20+ years ago and go back when I can. On the Island, folks still live neighborly, but definitely won't take BS from anybody... :lol:

1 Block from Arthur Avenue here. You would never know you were in the Bronx.
98% Italian, friendly, generous and protective !!! You went to church at Mt. Carmel,
ate at Ann & Tony's and got your pastry from Artruso's. It was like living in a bubble.
I have nothing but fond memories and fat photos.

Boogiebabies said:
1 Block from Arthur Avenue here. You would never know you were in the Bronx.
98% Italian, friendly, generous and protective !!! You went to church at Mt. Carmel,
ate at Ann & Tony's and got your pastry from Artruso's. It was like living in a bubble.
I have nothing but fond memories and fat photos.

Sounds just like my childhood.
I heard more Italian than English from the adults.
Deli on every other corner and always a good Slice, Calzone or Stromboli on the other. :oops:

Thanks for the kind words,guys.But I am not an authorized Mesa tech,although I have done more than my share of cleaning up after a few here in NYC,in fact,Mesa's are my least favorite to work on,so I wouldnt even want to entertain becoming one.Sorry to hear you ran into a couple of what sounds like the worst techs,of any kind,not just "Mesa".Though I gotta ask What were you thinking when you payed someone who wouldnt tell you what he did or let you test the repair before paying,Seth?Who recommended these guys?Thats the guy you want to slap.I find it amusing to hear all these people rap NYC,I've lived here all my life (54 years),have worked in law enforcement for 28 years and have faced the worst this city has to offer and yet I still wouldnt live anywhere else.I've spent a lot of time in Boston and Philly and per population,I've met more assholes in those places.I have a summer place upstate and have friends and relatives in various parts of upstate NY and think there are more sihtheads in some of these small towns.I'm going to be retiring soon and I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.It really is the greatest city in the world,if you can hack it,I guess.

Born and raised in Queens. Had a house upstate and met my share of dick heads there. They resented "city people". I swear there's still in-breeding going on up there too.

CudBucket said:
Born and raised in Queens. Had a house upstate and met my share of dick heads there. They resented "city people". I swear there's still in-breeding going on up there too.

If you lived a minimum of 125 miles north of NYC, 90% are city transplants. Only the 10% left over are the true locals.
I think they truly dislike the "seasonal" visitors who drive like maniacs, crowd the grocery stores and leave 5 tons of garbage behind.
I had the strange perspective of going to school from K-12 upstate with summers and holidays in the city. Totally backwards, but my Dad
finally had it with my brother jumping the train to Queens, Manhattan or Brooklyn and shipped us all off to the Boonie's. The kind of place
where when you bought guitar strings you bought five extra high E's because you never knew when you would make it back.
Between the inbreeding, nepotism and overall deliverance vibe there were plenty of douche bags to be found up there.

The best there is in NYC is A440 audio 24 w. 30th street gotta get everything in the elevator but the guy is a genius

Make the trip over to NJ. I know a good amp guy and he's authorized Mesa.

I've lived in Brooklyn for about 30 years, now. It hasn't all been a picnic...but I lived in Tucson and had my house ripped off then firebombed once, too.

Assholes abound...

I love NYC. I hate NYC. I feel indifferent about NYC. I feel the same about anywhere else I've ever been. It's just nice to be alive and playing music. Hang with friends. Have a good time and do the best we possibly can during the bad. It's been a GREAT place to bring up my daughter. We do love to get outta town, too. Beaches, mountains, etc.

As far as local techs: Sorry you had to deal with that garbage, Seth. Hope all works out with Monsta-Tone. Looking forward to hearing the results...

I've been going to the same guy for my Mark IIB for about 25 years. He's very, very good with it...but he openly hates Boogies and, frankly, I've had it with him for that fact. It's like someone's insulting your wife. Consistently tells me to buy another amp. Last time I brought it to him it was like I was bringing a bucket of **** into his shop. Enough, already...

So I'm looking for a new techie. I've heard great things about Flash at a440, in Manhattan. I just heard about this guy, Cory Davidson of Davidson Electronics, on Long Island, who's supposed to be excellent, too. It was so cool when I called him. I told him I had a IIB that I was considering getting modded (the MikeB one), and he said: "Be sure you really want that change of tone, before you make the move. The IIB has a very distinctive sound that you can't get from any other amp."

I was very glad that he said that. He knows his stuff and likes the amps.

He's offered to look it over with me. A free consultation. Set up an appointment. No obligations. I'll be bringing it out to him in a couple of weeks.

It's a drive to get there...but I really like the vibe. See what comes of it...

I ended up taking my Mark IIB to Davidson Electronics. Great stuff...wrote a thread about it:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53564

Back