if you could only have one guitar, which one offers the. . .

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoangus

Reaction score
most versatility.

Older family guy here, getting back into playing again after a nearly 10 year hiatus. I just picked up a blue stripe Mk III Simulclass – what an incredible amp! In the next few months, I’m thinking I’ll be looking for another guitar. I currently have an Ibanez RG570 - it’s okay, but I’d like to upgrade. I’d like to find something pretty versatile, as I like to play a variety of music. I don’t plan on playing out, just jamming with some friends and doing some home studio stuff for my own personal ya yas. I was in a cover band playing stuff from the 60’s thru the 80’s (new wave, not hair bands - Beatles, Stones, Steely Dan, Elvis P & C, Squeeze). I’m thinking about a PRS McCarty, or maybe a custom 24. Back in the day, I had a couple of Strats, as well as a Les Paul, but I can’t say I really miss any of them. On paper, it would appear that the PRS’ would offer a greater tonal palette than either, but having never played one, I was hoping that you folks here would offer your opinions. While I know that the split coils aren’t going to give me the genuine Fender tone, are they passable, particularly if I’m likely to only have one guitar? My rig will be pretty simple, guitar, MkIII and G-Major in the effects loop.

If there is something else I should consider, I’d appreciate your suggestions? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

geo

I have a personal liking of the following two makers:

http://www.andersonguitars.com/

http://www.melanconguitars.com/index.shtml

I own the later, it'my perfect all in one guitar built to my specs.
I have since changed the pickups to further make it my axe, but she has played like butta since the day I got her.

Chris... 8)

Melancon5.jpg

geoangus said:
most versatility

This. Quote from the manufacturers website:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logic - description

Try to envision a single instrument that can cover the tonalities of both a Fender stratocaster and the Gibson Les Paul .An instrument that will create sound options unique to your style of music . An instrument that will be easy to use, with controls located in familiar places.

It took us a couple of years to fine tune our vision, and now we can proudly present you with one of the most intriguing guitars - the “LOGIC”. A simple flick of a switch will let you enter many sound combinations, some of them exclusive to this instrument . The beauty of our patented switching system is that you determine absolute simplicity or versatility .You will be able to dial in the five regular strat positions or the three basic positions of a Les Paul . To tailor an additional fifteen sound combinations you simply have to combine the activities of the 5- way strat and Gibson toggle switches (see sound option chart). And by utilizing noiseless single coils, this instrument is quiet in all of its 23 sound options .

If you’re performing or recording artist looking for a cutting edge instrument that will push sound to its limits , then “LOGIC” is the model for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scala%20Guitars%20New%20Pictures%20017%20-%20Original.jpg

Scala%20Guitars%20New%20Pictures%20011.jpg

I have logged a lot of hours on a McCarty, and that guitar is spectacular. And it does have a wide choice of tones, since the split-coil position is actually usable and in fact sounds quite good.

I would also consider a semi-acoustic, like an es-335 or clone, based on your post.

Then again, the plain old Telecaster is always an option. I could get by with just my Tele if I had to. 8)

how would you characterize the difference between the McCarty and the Custom series? And with the Customs, how is the tremolo? Does it stay in tune? How does the tremolo bar secure in it, threaded or ball detents?

Any one have opinions of these? Seem pretty nice too. That Scala is pretty awesome, but I don't know if I'm talented enough to handle all of those toggle switch pickup combinations (not to mention imaginative enough) :D

geoangus said:
how would you characterize the difference between the McCarty and the Custom series? And with the Customs, how is the tremolo? Does it stay in tune? How does the tremolo bar secure in it, threaded or ball detents?

My father owns the McCarty, I've owned a CE24 and a Custom22. The trem is the same on the CE24 as is the Custom24 so I can speak on behalf of it.

I don't think it was very 'useful' if that makes sense, it only bent very slightly each way, so only for a very basic trem move. There's certainly very little room for guitar pyrotechnics with it. It certainly stays in tune though. The trem has a hard rubber lining the hole so it basically just slides in with a bit of pushing down.

As for the differences between Custom and McCarty, the two big differences are the locking tuners on the Custom and the Gibson style green tuners on the McCarty. The pickups are a little 'sweeter' on the McCarty.. very vintage sounding to me, but very sweet creamy blues in the neck pickup. The Custom has the hotter wound 'dragon II' or the HFS depending on which model you get. I love HFS pickups, the dragon's are ok but a bit weak for what I wanted. The dragon neck pickup is amazing, easily my favorite PRS pickup ever. I replaced my bridge dragon in my custom22 with the tremonti signature treble pickup, sounds like an HFS but more 'hifi' and way higher output.

Overall I'd say McCarty is better for 'les paul' style sound, great for rock and blues and country, hell anything really but not metal or heavy rock. (to my ears, some people might use them for this)

The Custom are more suited for more modern rock but they can get very vintage if you tame it right, especially with the dragon bridge.

Hope that helped.

geoangus said:
That Scala is pretty awesome, but I don't know if I'm talented enough to handle all of those toggle switch pickup combinations (not to mention imaginative enough) :D

Just go for other, simpler, models, Sir.

Sorry, I wasn't knocking your guitar, as it definitely looks like as versatile a guitar as there is out there.

geo

You may want to consider a true semi-hollow body such as the the Heritage 535. I had the standard Schaller p/ups replaced with a matched set of Duncan 59's and it has become my favorite electric guitar. Great for all types of music. This site/picture doesn't do it justice but will give more info:
http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/H535Classic.htm

geoangus said:
Sorry, I wasn't knocking your guitar, as it definitely looks like as versatile a guitar as there is out there.

geo

No harm. I was actually thinking you might wanna check other Scala guitars since they have 'regular switching' models, either strat based or Les Paul based. Of course they could put in whatever you want, everything is made by hand, there's no production line, so it's all the same to them.
I ordered one of those Logic guitars pictured above but it's still in the shop waiting a different neck. I also have a 7-string almost done. Anyway as far as the switching system on 'Logic' goes, it's fairly simple. You literally have both Strat & Les Paul controls and an additional toggle switch that turns one, other or both systems on. When you have both pickup systems on you sound like playing 2 guitars at the same time (a Strat and a Les Paul). I was present, at one of those NAMM shows, when Mr. Scala demonstrated this system to Paul. Sure enough, next year Paul came up with a '513' :lol: .

Latest posts

Back