Identifying the version of a Mark II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vds5000

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd be surprised if this info hasn't already been posted, but I can't seem to find it. How would I be able to tell the difference between the different versions of the Mark II? I'm going to be looking at a Mark II tonight, with the potential of buying it. The seller isn't sure which version he has.

Thanks

Thanks, I just finished reading the info. I did buy the amp and going by the info in that link, it's a Mark IIC.

Does anyone know if Mesa is still doing the IIC to IIC+ upgrade, and how much it costs? Also, is it worth the money?

Congrats! If it hasn't been modded already, they do still do the mod, and I think it's 450.00. I've never played a non "+" version, but most guys say it's definitely worth it.

But, you've now got one of the most rare Mesa's made, Most have been modded to C+ already, there's probably only a few hundred left that haven't been modded. I think I'd play it a while and see if you like the tone the way it is, and if you think it's lacking call Mike B and get it modded.

I have a Mark IIC and am contemplating the upgrade. I email Mesa and was quoted $400 for all options that if the amp has simul class, eq, reverb. it's cheaper if you don't have the options. Anyway since I'm in Australia the cost of shipping there and back is going to cost more than the mod, however I have been told it is definitely worth the effort.

About the IIC though, it sounds awesome. But for me it doesn't have quite enough gain on the Lead channel for my liking and is one of the reasons why I want do the mod.

Mine only has the reverb (i.e. no Simul, and no EQ). My God, figuring out the controls is a royal pain in the rump!

I think my Bruno has ruined me - I can't dial in a distorted tone from my Boogie that I like 1/2 as much as the distorted tones I'm getting out of the Bruno.

You are correct the Bruno is a superior amp and you should ship the C to me ASAP. I will be glad to take this overrated amp off your hands. :lol:

The IIC distortion can be harsh sounding when playing alone. But in a band situation, that harshness allows it to really cut through the mix. The C also has an awesome clean tone.

I love the C for playing leads and medium gain classic rock type stuff. It is a very tight amp.

To get more gain, increase Volume 1 and the the Treble control. Also pulling the knobs adds gain as well. I run mine with all the knobs pulled.

Actually, I found that easing back on the Presence knob (down to 3 or less) cuts down on the harshness considerably. For some reason, I'm still preferring my Bruno however - it just sounds smoother. I'd say the Boogie sounds very early-mid 80's metal - think RATT, Dokken, etc. The cleans are quite nice however.

Mine doesn't have a footswitch. Will a standard 1-button Fender-type unit do, or will I need to invest in some proprietary Boogie footswitch?

Latest posts

Back