Identifying my Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyBar3

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Mesa Boogie Mark III and I'm trying to figure out what 'stripe' it is, because I have been unable to find any guide on it at all on the internet.

It is the long head I believe. The reverd is on the front as well as the half and full power control. It has a Mesa Boogie Simul-Class sticker on the back, but I have not been able to find any serial number. It also has 4 Sovtek 5881WXT (6L6) power tubes. I'm looking into replacing those tubes, so any suggestions would be welcome, but I will probably like Mesa tubes. Let me know what kind of tones you've found possible with some of their EL-34 and 6L6s.

Here's a link to a picture of my Mark III

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/TonyBar3/P1010563.jpg

P1010563.jpg

Look for the serial number to be stamped in the chassis underneath the speaker output jacks. The number is usually painted over so it's hard to see.

Alrighty, it's a green stripe.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to go ahead and make a horrible assumption, but to tell if it's a simul-class I can look at the sticker on the back that says Simul-Class and assume that Mesa put that there, not someone else, right? Or is there another way to tell?

I think the presence of the sticker makes it safe to assume it's a simul-class amp. You could check with Mesa but you would need the serial number.

Thanks for you help. A few more questions and I'm done.

Have you guys had any luck using the direct out of the amp? I find it to be a little too trebley for recording and it doesn't sound very full.

Also, has anyone had any problems with their effects loop? Mine seems awfully quiet, but it could just be that I was putting the wrong effects there (wah and phaser, which aren't time based effects).

Thanks, and if anyone has any badass setting that they think I should dial in let me know. For the most part I've got mine like this

Volume Treble Bass Mids Master L. Gain L. Volume Reverb
7 7 4 4 2 5.5 6.5 3
Out Out Out Out

I also have my EQ set to the V shape, with the mids being just off the mid line, and the far left slider slightly higher than the far right.

I play mostly lead channel, but some clean, and almost no Rh2. I'm trying to get a No Use For a Name(Making Friends) type tone out of it if anyone has any idea who that is.

I've never liked the sound of the direct out. I have used it with a Cabtone and it's much better. I think it needs some sort of cabinet emulator to really be useful.
The effects loop should work very well. But remember it's output is governed by where your master volumes are set. Wah pedals in the loop are a bad idea.
I don't like to recommend settings, but one thing you can try is to keep the bass settings low on the amp and add the desired amount of bass with the eq. The eq is after the tone controls on the amp. So adding bass with the eq sounds tighter, less flubby.

Joey707 said:
The effects loop should work very well. But remember it's output is governed by where your master volumes are set.

The Master is after the loop, more of a send return level rather than a send output level. That's why you can use just the power section of a Boogie if you want to use a different pre-amp.

Chris... 8)

You are correct. The master doesn't effect the send level. Volume 1 does and when in lead mode the lead drive and lead master do. My mistake.

But isn't some of the gain on a III in the power section?
This would make the direct out not as full..Maybe the green ( pentode) stripes are different...Yes, my E loop is weak...
Try this setting....
vol1-4 pulled
treb- 5 pulled
bass-0 pulled
mid-3
master- 2
lead drive-7
lead master-3
presence-3
reverb-6
EQ:
80-mid of top line
240- just under mid line
750- just above bottom line
2200-just above mid line
6600-just under mid line
EQ in "auto"
humbucker... Neck for clean, bridge lead...
nice, sparkly clean, heavey lead....
ax. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back