Ibanez RG1570

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
rabies said:
anybody have this or used this guitar with a Mark III/IV or Dual Recto? I'm thinking of getting a "shredder" Japanese made guitar with sick low action. This particular model got a lot of great reviews in harmony-central and musiciansfriend.com. Any comments?

I own a 2550 and it works awesome with both my MKIV and my Roadster. I did change the pups (two Evolutions and an HS3) and added a switch to make the neck evo a true single coil, parallel, or series. I can get just about any sound I need out of it and the action is wonderful. The 1570 is very similar.

I've got a RG470 that sounds pretty decent. I changed the pickups to EMG-HZ's though, the original V-7/V-8's suck, and i don't really use the single coil, so i just left it. Mine's from 2000, the craftsmanship of the newer ones are so much better, wish i had a newer RG, they are sick!

I bought my RG 550 for 150 shipped with case when I was 17. The original owner began refinishing it but he never completed it so I stained it and put it back together. It's a decent guitar especially for what I paid for it but the neck is bit too thin sometimes (definitely compared to my Tele copy which has a nice round "C" neck). I loaded my RG with Bill Lawrence PU's (X500L bridge, X500R neck, and a 298 single coil in the middle) with coil tapping on the tone knob. I like the guitar for it's versatility(especially with the coil tap!) and it definitely has reliable over the years. I think my guitar is nearly 20 years old and still going strong!

Good luck with yours.

Greg

You will have to solder the pickups to change them. If you remove the middle pickup you probably would want to change the selector switch to a 3 way (some even split the buckers so the inner coils are active together ala JP's old ibanez guitar). If you don't have any experience with soldering I don't recommend learning on your guitar since the wires for the pickups are really thin and easy to melt all of the insulation off. I used to practice soldering on an old broken stereo head unit and help me a bit.

To remove the middle pickup you would have to remove the strings to get it out smoothly without scratching everything. In turn you would have to removed the bridge so you it doesn't go flopping around scratching the posts up.

Greg

it depends where u get it done. At Guitar center or places like that it can be a steep price. I had a friend set up my rg1570,570, and 770 when i changed the pups. if you can find someone that works too.

rabies said:
any advice on how to install/replace pups? I just watched a couple seymour duncan vids but looks like a soldering iron is required.

how hard to just remove the middle pup?

Definitely not a good idea for your first adventure in soldering. If you go to http://www.musicplayers.com/tutorials/guitars/2006/0906_Pickups201.php you can see photos and descriptive text describing the process of changing pickups and actually installing the custom 3-way wiring used in John Petrucci's guitars.

Scott

I just installed a Tom Anderson H3 in the bridge of my Ibanez RGA121 (fixed bridge 2HB) all i can say is WOW! IMHO an excellent shredder style guitar with low action and upper fret access....highly recommend the TA pickups too.

Back