i would like input for the ED owners.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonman079

Reaction score
i have tried one of the ED heads out a few times and really liked it. i was all set to buy it but when i went to the shop it was sold and they said they had no idea when they would get another one. so i bought an orange rockerverb 100 instead as i need an amp fast. but i still want an ED and am thinking about trading the orange in on one. but i was wondering if one would work for my needs. i know the clean channel will be fine. but i need to be able to cover alot of ground. i use pedals to help with tones my amp does not get. but i need to be able to go from country/ blues with a tele. to some down tuned heavier stuff with a les paul and pedals. i have also heard a few people talk about the effects loop not liking some things. i run my delay,chorus,tremolo, flange and so on through my loop. so the loop is important to me as well. also is the amp picky about overdrive pedals? with the orange it is kind of hit or miss on if they will work well with it.

I run a TC electronics nova delay in the loop of the ED. It works great. But that is all I ever use in the loop is delay. I never tried flange in the loop of any amp, isnt it overpowering that way?

The rockerverb is a fantastic amp. I don’t see any reason why you could not get what you need out of it…..if it were me I don’t know if I would trade up.. dont get me wrong I absolutely love my ED but the Verb is solid enough I would think twice…If money were not a huge factor I would have one of each myself…..the two of them in stereo would really put out a cool vibe…………..as far as the ED, it will do what you said your looking for, trust me……..”PEDALS”… it takes them very well but more so in the clean mode.. distortion pedals on the low and high mode work good but as you cascade the artificial gain on top of the natural tube gain it looses something/ I get some tone robbed and some volume drop as it looses the fullness (if that makes any sense) OD pedals/ boosts/ and pre amp tube equipped pedals like blackstar seymoure Duncan/ and tone bone aint near as bad in those modes provided you keep the gain to a min…………………..as far as the loop, I have not used flange in it either but everything I have tried works good. .However; like gplex, I really only use it for delay……..chorus on occation… …hope this helps and answered your question…………let us know what you decide

Cheers
Bill

thanks for the info guys. yeah i like the rockerverb. i just wish the clean sound was better. i like the more fender type clean and the british overdrive. i try to set my drive channel. for southern rock type gain then boost them with a tubescreamer for more if i need it. the main problem i am having with the effects loop is having to use a buffer pedal in it. so far no matter what pedal i try it sounds weak. from what i read on the orange forum they design their loops that way. i was thinking about getting a line6 m9 to run in the loop but i found out orange loops will not do processors or rack units.
if i could get a little more sparkle in the clean and could use rack stuff in the loop it would be about the perfect amp for me. i contacted orange and they are the ones who told me about using a booster in the loop and he suggested me some cables to use as well. i was also told that i could make the clean channel better by replacing the tubes with kt88's and using an EQ pedal to help with the mids. if i hadn't have spent all of my savings on the amp it would not be bad but i am on disability. it will be awhile before i can afford to spend another $600+ to try what they suggested.

You could try a Tech 21 Blonde Character Series pedal. It runs the gamut of Fender sounds and should be usable in front as well as the loop. It has a TON of volume (and gain) available and nails that Twin Reverb spanky fat clean tone.

Back