I want To Get A MESA Companion For My Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird mac

Reaction score
Just a little over a year ago I bought my Express 5:50 (not +). The more I play that amp the more I love it, and contrary to some complaints I've heard/read, it really isn't that difficult to dial in. My second amp is a FENDER 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue that I'm not totally sold on (to my ears, the MESA sounds much smoother and more dynamic. I'm looking at either a 5:25 head or a Mini Rectifier head, for portability reasons. I have a 23" Lone Star cab that I sometimes use under my 5:50 that I would use under either head. I'm not a metal (or super high gain) player. I play mostly blues or blues influenced tunes. Which of these 2 amps (Mini Rectifier vs Express 5:25) would be the better/logical choice to replace the FENDER. I live about 3 hours away from the nearest MESA dealer, so "try before I buy" is out of the equation.

Part of the reason for this quest is a size/weight issue. I drive a relatively small car and I think a 2 piece arrangement will work better for long trips.

~Thanks!!!

Hey Mac
You asked pretty much the same question in your previous thread

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64835

Now you've widened a touch to include the Mini Rectifier.
But besides - small size, what else are you looking for in a head?

You say you want something to replace the Fender you have but do you want similar tones.
If so, neither 5:25 or Mini Rec sound similar to your Fender.

Or do you want a smaller version of the 5:50 ??
If so, 5:25 will only do this in part, these 2 heads sound significantly different due to
- different power tubes,
- different headroom

Unless you give us some more info on exactly what you want tone & features wise I can't offer any suggestions.

Also - you say you live 3 hrs away so will not "try before you buy".
Just be aware in that case that whatever you buy is gonna be a major risk.
Youtube videos are useless and 100% relying on advice from people you don't know on forums is askin for trouble :mrgreen:

Whatever you read or hear on the net - when you actually get to play the amp you buy you may hate it, or love it.
Try to get one of those 1 month return deals they only do in the USA

Newysurfer said:
Hey Mac
You asked pretty much the same question in your previous thread

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64835

Now you've widened a touch to include the Mini Rectifier.
But besides - small size, what else are you looking for in a head?

You say you want something to replace the Fender you have but do you want similar tones.
If so, neither 5:25 or Mini Rec sound similar to your Fender.

Or do you want a smaller version of the 5:50 ??
If so, 5:25 will only do this in part, these 2 heads sound significantly different due to
- different power tubes,
- different headroom

Unless you give us some more info on exactly what you want tone & features wise I can't offer any suggestions.

Also - you say you live 3 hrs away so will not "try before you buy".
Just be aware in that case that whatever you buy is gonna be a major risk.
Youtube videos are useless and 100% relying on advice from people you don't know on forums is askin for trouble :mrgreen:

Whatever you read or hear on the net - when you actually get to play the amp you buy you may hate it, or love it.
Try to get one of those 1 month return deals they only do in the USA

I think I'm going to go ahead and make the 3 hour drive. I want to hear these amps in person. I did not purchase my 5:50 sight unseen. I played through it in a music store while on vacation last summer. The only major piece of equipment I ever bought sight unseen was my 04 Les Paul R9.

As far as features go, I'm looking for anything that will give at least 2 different power choices, preferably not greater than 25 watts. I would rather have tube distortion than using a pedal, and I don't want to hassle with biasing when it's time to change tubes.*

This isn't the first time I've wanted to part ways with FENDER. Two years ago I had a BUDDA SD II - 18. I liked the sound of the amp and its touch sensitivity, but it had a couple of issues. The major issue was a bad power tube socket, so I took it back to the store where I bought it (they are not an authorized BUDDA dealership). I bought the DRRI on a whim after ditching the BUDDA. Before the BUDDA I had a BLACKSTAR HT 20. I liked the concept, but not the construction, and I found out later that this amp is misrepresented as being an all tube amp. The cab was all MDF and couldn't handle much in the way of trying different speakers (the screw holes in the back of the amp eventually stripped out).

*In some ways I wish I hadn't started the previous thread. I had a mild stroke 5 years ago and I tend to get caught up in an obsessive compulsive frame of mind. In spite of that my ability to play is coming back in spades!

I play jazz with a slight blues lean to it.

I also own a non plus 5:50.

My plans for a second/backup amp is the TA30. I was torn between the blackfacey Express and the Voxy/tweedy Transatlantic. A good deal came up on the Express so my mind was made up for me financially.

Maybe check out the TA15 head. Not the same. ... but maybe worth a look.

Barry del Ive said:
I play jazz with a slight blues lean to it.

I also own a non plus 5:50.

My plans for a second/backup amp is the TA30. I was torn between the blackfacey Express and the Voxy/tweedy Transatlantic. A good deal came up on the Express so my mind was made up for me financially.

Maybe check out the TA15 head. Not the same. ... but maybe worth a look.

+1
Mac - yes you should check out the TA-30 and TA-15.
Both great Mesa amps imo and sound very different to the Express amps.
The Mini Rec will have far too much gain for your needs imo.
Also the 30w Lonestar Special is also worth checking out in the small watt Mesa range

Latest posts

Back