i want to do some crazy pickups mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
i would really like to have separate volume and tone controls on my ibanez s520ex. maybe even push pull coil tapping. i know i will add at minimum another volume control b/c 1 isnt enough. can you guys throw some cool ideas out there? also recommend some pickups? i play metal like LoG but like clean tones every once in a while. also is there any good sites for wiring diagrams and stuff? thanks! :twisted:

log uses sd sh4 or something like that, whatever the jeff becks are. that with a 59 or jazz is a pretty common balanced set. dimarzio paf pros are pretty awesome. my fav at the moment is a d sonic in the bridge and air norton in the neck. cleans are alright but singing leads and tight rhythm. dont know too much about knobs on guitars...less is more if you ask me

Try throwing a killswitch in for some cool staccato effects. Also maybe an emg afterburner or booster switch would be cool.

Killswitches are absolutely useless. I'm sorry to the poster before me but I can't think of a more ridiculous mod when you're talking about having two volumes. All you have to do is turn one volume all the way off and play with your pickup selector switch. It's another hole in your guitar that adds absolutely no value whatsoever.

unless you like to use both pickups at the same time or s/t, i know tom morello has a killswitch and can do some badass stuff with it

Some guitars are also wired with independent volumes rather than two master volumes. It depends how its set up. Some don't shut the whole guitar off in the middle position.

Killswitches are absolutely useless. I'm sorry to the poster before me but I can't think of a more ridiculous mod when you're talking about having two volumes. All you have to do is turn one volume all the way off and play with your pickup selector switch.

Thats only assuming he has a 3 way toggle. If it is a 5 way mega switch a killswitch would be needed. :D

Thanks for those who backed me up. They know whats up :D

when someone says they want to put a kill switch in the guitar, I think a new switch that only grounds the signal independent of the pickup switch.

I want one but my EMGs are uber sensitive

hmmm...

would you guys recommend EMG's or SD Blackouts? or would a nice set of passives be better? i've never had actives, but so many metal bands use them... i just keep thinking that they will be lifeless and have bad cleans. i dont know. right now im more concerned with what pickups to go with. any helpful advice?!!?

Back