I traded in my Triple Rec and I now have the Roadking.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
Hey guys I traded in my Triple Rectifier for a Dual Rectifier Roadking and WOW what a difference. You can literally get any sound out of this amp you want. The clean channels are the best part, it has an amazing clean tone sound. I was so sick and tired of my Triple lacking in that department. As far as modern and vintage mode pretty much identical, but with a few exra options. I have been running my modern mode with 4 6l6 and 2 el34, the sound is incredible. It is much tighter than my triple rec. This is the best amp money can buy period!!! No matter what music you play the sound is there. The reverb on this amp is beautifull sounding. I will give you a comparison between the 3 mesa boogie amps that i have owned.

Triple Rec vs Roadking vs Single rec rectoverb. Remember this is just my opinion.

The Triple Rec: Awesome leads, awesome chunk, great for metal, hard rock. Clean channel is terrible without pedals to shape it. And Very Loud.
The only downside to a triple rec is that it can indeed sound fizzy with the wrong gutiar and settings. It is also easy to make it sound thin, Overall the triple rec is a awesome amp.

The single Rectoverb 50 watt head: I was always pleased with the clean, The modern channel was indeed brutal, but it wouldnt knock u off your *** like the triple would. The best way to put the modern channel is to say it sounds like a triple rec without the oomph!! Only two channels as well, which is not enough for me.

The Roadking: Absolutely gorgeous cleans!!! Great modern channel, if you have heard a dual or triple, its the same here. It sounds a little thicker to me, but it could be because im running 2 el34 tubes with the 4 6l6. The thing that stands out on the modern mode of this amp is no fizzle, it seems that the gain maybe a little more focused. If this amp has any negative things about it, it would have to be that you can get overwhelmed with the amount of things you can change and adjust. On my triple i boosted the front end of the amp a little with a clean boost pedal, to tighten it up. The roadking I havent needed to. I have only messed with this amp a couple of hours, so as soon as i figure more out i will post some things about it.

This amp is a work of art. thanks mesa boogie

Platypus, I played on a stilleto exactly like yours today, its the first one i have ever played, that thing sounds great. I have never played on a boogie i couldnt get a great sound out of. I just hope it doesnt take me too long to find some killer settings on my new roadking.

nathan28 said:
Platypus, I played on a stilleto exactly like yours today, its the first one i have ever played, that thing sounds great. I have never played on a boogie i couldnt get a great sound out of. I just hope it doesnt take me too long to find some killer settings on my new roadking.

Sweet, I'm still loving it more each day. You'll be up and running on your RK in no time.

I traded my Triple Rec and a gibson les paul for the roadking and 500.00 in credit. It was a good trade, I was actually shocked when he said yes that he would trade. He just unboxed the roadking, he didnt even have the tubes in it yet. Its the first boogie I have owned that im the only one who has played on it. I asked him how long it takes to get in a roadking and he said 60 days. Their must be some demand for this head

I like RK's as well, I cant belive you swapped your LP. What guitar are you using in your new RK now Nate. I have to admit after reading your post ive been thinking about trading my triple rec in for a roadster or even the new RK, I dont want to bite off that extra payment yet though unless its worth it.

nathan28 said:
He just unboxed the roadking, he didnt even have the tubes in it yet. Its the first boogie I have owned that im the only one who has played on it. I asked him how long it takes to get in a roadking and he said 60 days. Their must be some demand for this head

I assume it's an RKII. Odd that it didn't have tubes in it. Maybe Mesa has begun shipping without tubes due to all the breakage. Every Mesa head I ever bought new, came with the tubes in it.

Congratulations on your Road King. Yepper, the RK is definitely the ****. With my RK and MK IV, there is no sound/tone that I can't get. We can crush bones, peel paint off the walls or play fuzzy love bunny music. Set for life..........HS

HappyStrat said:
Congratulations on your Road King. Yepper, the RK is definitely the ****. With my RK and MK IV, there is no sound/tone that I can't get. We can crush bones, peel paint off the walls or play fuzzy love bunny music. Set for life..........HS

That is until the RKIII or MarkV! :D

I still have my gibson explorer pro with my emg's in it, and i also have a 2006 les paul standard, so im covered with my guitars. I loved my triple rec, especially for high gain stuff, the cleans just didnt please me. So when this opportunity came up I traded, I was worried that the Roadking wouldnt match the triple rec when it came to high gain stuff, but that isnt the case at all, when you activate the 4 6l6's, it sounds identical pretty much, but I have been using 4 6l6's and 2 el34's, and I love it, no fizzle like my triple rec had, its a little more warmer with the el34's and it feels to have more usable gain. I love this thing!!! Its advertised as being a tonal monster and being able to cover any musical ground. This is 100% true.

CudBucket said:
That is until the RKIII or MarkV! :D

Cud, don't bait me, Bro! You're gonna, get me divorced! LOL

I was asked what I want for Christmas, so as I started to thinking, she commented that it better not have nothing to do with those **** guitars or amplifiers! So, I went in a different direction and said I wasn't even thinking about that junk, I need a stinkin' table saw. I surely didn't want to hear the "You've already got too much guitar crap now" sermon. This Christmas is gonna be a power tool one, but next year will be a totally different story. Us GASsers are a sneaky and devious bunch, huh! :)

Cud, don't bait me, Bro! You're gonna, get me divorced! LOL

I was asked what I want for Christmas, so as I started to thinking, she commented that it better not have nothing to do with those **** guitars or amplifiers! So, I went in a different direction and said I wasn't even thinking about that junk, I need a stinkin' table saw. I surely didn't want to hear the "You've already got too much guitar crap now" sermon. This Christmas is gonna be a power tool one, but next year will be a totally different story. Us GASsers are a sneaky and devious bunch, huh! :)
If i'm you the first thing I build is a 4 x12 Cab :twisted:

That's the ticket. I build all my cabs through the year & next year I'll ask Santa for a truckload of Celestions to complete my Grateful Dead Wall of Sound recreation.

HappyStrat said:
That's the ticket. I build all my cabs through the year & next year I'll ask Santa for a truckload of Celestions to complete my Grateful Dead Wall of Sound recreation.

That was music to my ears. I'm planning on making a wall of sound with all Mark IV's! I need to get one first, though. But yeah, I love my RKII, but I need the new preamp tubes, for they're dead just like everyone else.

Back