I think I've found some great speakers for my Stiletto!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riff Blister

Reaction score
I just completed my speaker swap on on of my Recto cabinets.
I took out the V30s and replaced them with a pair of Scumback M75s. http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html
I spent some time giving them a test drive shortly afterward this morning. I must say that I am very impressed right off the bat. I can't wait to put some miles on them.

This puts me a hell of a lot closer to the tone I've been jonesing for. I pretty much figured out how to dial the amp in to my liking a while back. I've messed around with different tubes until I found stuff that I am very happy with too.I bought the amp back when the Stage IIs just came out so I've had a few years to experiment.
These new speakers could be the final word. I'm very exited.

P1010718.jpg

Out with the "Ice picks" (no offense V30 lovers :wink: )

P1010720.jpg

In with the new. :D

Now I better go spend time with my wife. It is Valentines day after all.
Things could go sour real quick if I jammed all day. :lol:

Them H30s are good too, or you can try the 65W variant of the Greenbacks as well. Personally, there aren't too many speakers that don't sound great with the Stiletto...

the cab makes a BIG difference in your opinion of the v-30's. I just a/b'd my new recto 4x12 cab with my carvin v3 4x12 (both with v-30's) and you guessed it huge difference in bottom end and overall tone! Very psyched to say the least. I guess this is attributed to the recto's baltic birch wood versus what I assume is cheaper plywood in the v-3 cab.

If the V3 cab is like the legacy cab, well then the speakers are front loaded which does make a difference.

cragginshred said:
the cab makes a BIG difference in your opinion of the v-30's. I just a/b'd my new recto 4x12 cab with my carvin v3 4x12 (both with v-30's) and you guessed it huge difference in bottom end and overall tone! Very psyched to say the least. I guess this is attributed to the recto's baltic birch wood versus what I assume is cheaper plywood in the v-3 cab.

It's been a few weeks now and I really like what I have with the new Scumbacks.
I feel I should take back my "Ice picks" comment I made about the V30s however.
I was a little overzealous that day I guess. :lol:
I really don't have a problem with the V30s. I still kept the most broken in pair in my other Recto cab and they still exist in my Stiletto 2x12 cab as well. They have their place.
I'm an older guy, I'll be 53 years old in April. My taste in guitar tones definitely leans towards those vintage Marshall and Fender amps of the late 60S to mid 70s. With that in mind, I'm just saying that I am very pleased what the Greenback style speakers are doing for my tone.
Money well spent for me.

**Insert obligatory comment about mixing v30s with Greenbacks here**

I think there is never one setup that keeps a guitarist happy. I mean we all see how many guitars / amps the professionals use while in the studio. The older I get, the more variety of tones I want and no matter how much I love my current setup, I'm already wanting to expand my fleet of guitars. Cabs are a pain though. A bad sounding cab can make a perfectly good sounding amp sound like balls.

Those Scumbacks have been really intriguing to me for some time after I first heard about them on the Metro Amps forum. I've been wanting to try a pair of M75's with my plexi but I hadn't thought about trying them with the Stiletto.

I'm willing to bet that most people would be impressed with them like myself.
Since I do have the V30s in one cabinet as I mentioned above, I've been A/Bing between the two. It's a great way to to check them out as they are in identical cabinets. The Celestions are a lot brighter and maybe I would say stiffer sounding compared to the Scumbacks. IMHO The Scumbacks seam to have a more organic sound to them yet they still retain a great amount of detail. If that makes sense. So far I've noticed the improvement more with the Stiletto. My Budda sounds good with both types of speakers although I have not spent as much time scrutinizing with it.
It's been fun!

Riff Blister said:
I'm willing to bet that most people would be impressed with them like myself.
Since I do have the V30s in one cabinet as I mentioned above, I've been A/Bing between the two. It's a great way to to check them out as they are in identical cabinets. The Celestions are a lot brighter and maybe I would say stiffer sounding compared to the Scumbacks. IMHO The Scumbacks seam to have a more organic sound to them yet they still retain a great amount of detail. If that makes sense. So far I've noticed the improvement more with the Stiletto. My Budda sounds good with both types of speakers although I have not spent as much time scrutinizing with it.
It's been fun!

There was a guitar salesman who described V30s as sounding 'constipated'. You have to put a lot of gas 'volume' through them to get them moving but the results are well worth it. V30s ROAR once they are at gig level volume. Dr Z (amp builder) comments that he likes the G12H 30 / v30 combination because the greater low end of the G12H 30 helps tame the tone of the v30 so they balance each other out.

I just received my M75 LDHC last week for my Stilleto ACE 1x12. WOW!! What a tonal improvement over the stock V30. If you dig vintage British tones and don't dig the harshness of the V30's, you've got to look into the M75. The only down-side to these speakers is the long wait. It took me about 6-7 weeks to recieve my speaker, partially because when I placed my order Jim was fresh out of them and I am also stationed in Korea so it takes about 7 days for mail to reach me. I also paid the additional 10 bucks to have him break them in for me. I don't know how much of a difference this made, as its supposed to sound like a speaker thats been put through stage use for 60 hours. To me, it sounds great, and that's all that matters to me. I'm sure the more I break it in it will sound even better. Jim was a pleasure to deal with. Every email was answered the day that I emailed him. Class Act dude! A lot of research have been put into his line of speakers. Essentially the speaker is made by Weber as I understand it and Jim puts his final touches. If you dislike the sounds coming from the distortion channels in Tite Gain and Fluid drive due to the harshness, you owe it to yourself to get one of Jim's speakers. They cost around 180 bucks with shipping, but well worth the $$ and wait. The cleans are amazing as well. Having only spent a few hours with this speaker, I must say that I am completely blown away with it. A perfect compliment to the Stilleto.

As a side note, the difference between the LDHC and the standard M75 is the size of the magnet. The magnet is slightly larger than the M75, and it supposedly rounds off the high notes slightly. Take a look at the Scumback website for further information on the differences between the two. He's got a lot of sound clips on there as well you can check out. If you have the cash, buy it. It won't let you down!

-Brandon

panye82 said:
I just received my M75 LDHC last week for my Stilleto ACE 1x12. WOW!! What a tonal improvement over the stock V30. If you dig vintage British tones and don't dig the harshness of the V30's, you've got to look into the M75. The only down-side to these speakers is the long wait. It took me about 6-7 weeks to receive my speaker, partially because when I placed my order Jim was fresh out of them and I am also stationed in Korea so it takes about 7 days for mail to reach me. I also paid the additional 10 bucks to have him break them in for me. I don't know how much of a difference this made, as its supposed to sound like a speaker thats been put through stage use for 60 hours. To me, it sounds great, and that's all that matters to me. I'm sure the more I break it in it will sound even better. Jim was a pleasure to deal with. Every email was answered the day that I emailed him. Class Act dude! A lot of research have been put into his line of speakers. Essentially the speaker is made by Weber as I understand it and Jim puts his final touches. If you dislike the sounds coming from the distortion channels in Tite Gain and Fluid drive due to the harshness, you owe it to yourself to get one of Jim's speakers. They cost around 180 bucks with shipping, but well worth the $$ and wait. The cleans are amazing as well. Having only spent a few hours with this speaker, I must say that I am completely blown away with it. A perfect compliment to the Stilleto.

As a side note, the difference between the LDHC and the standard M75 is the size of the magnet. The magnet is slightly larger than the M75, and it supposedly rounds off the high notes slightly. Take a look at the Scumback website for further information on the differences between the two. He's got a lot of sound clips on there as well you can check out. If you have the cash, buy it. It won't let you down!

-Brandon

It's great to see someone else is having the same experience as me with the Scumbacks. I'm two months into owning mine. Now I'm thinking it might be the best thing I've done for the Stiletto 8)
I got lucky when I placed my order. Someone had just canceled their order for a pair that were ready to go. I got those speakers in about two weeks. :D
Schwing!!!!!!!!

Very cool choice, RB! I've been really intrigued by those. The M75's seem like a really logical choice for a Marshall or British-voiced amp. I'm not surprised that you are really pleased with them.

Congrats!

personaly i dig my trident through an old randall cab loaded with jaguars. sounds really ballsy

Anyone try MC90's with the Stiletto?

When I had a Deuce II head< I swapped out the Eminence stock speakers in a G-Flex 212 (Genz Benz), for 2 C90's and really prefered that sound- more fullrange which I liked with the Stiletto-

Latest posts

Back