I Think I Screwed Up!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrake

Reaction score
i feel like such a noob, but the other day i switched the BIAS switch to EL34, thinking that i would get a different sound, you know, just experimenting.

but i did not change any tubes or anything like that. the tubes that came with the amp are the same ones in there now, which i believe are 6L6, right?

so that means that i messed something up? in order to flip the switch i have to replace the tubes to EL34? i thought it came with both but that they were just stock tubes, and people put name-brand tubes.

man, i really hope i did not mess up my amp! what should i do?

Well you DEFINITELY shouldn't flip that switch over without switching to the proper tube type.

Depends how long and how hard you ran the amp like that. Does the amp still work? My guess is it'll probably be ok as long as you didn't run it for too long like that.

you were just over heating the tubes, you might cause a arcing on the tube or burn a tube but i think you'll be fine mine. i did that and have done that to my el34's at times

is there a way to tell if one of the tubes are blown?

Did it stop working?

If the amp was working fine and there are no signs of the tube being damaged (just look at the tube... if there was damage done you will probably see it) you are probably fine. May have shortened the life of the tube though.

Well, there's a reason why Mesa puts something like
Caution! Bias setting must match tubes in use
right below that 6L6 / EL34 bias switch. :wink:

No worries, all you've done is caused a bit of extra wear on
the output tubes and the output transformer probably got a
bit warmer than usual.
Like Charlie said, it's all right if you haven't used it on that
setting for very long or at a high volume.

noob.jpg

V!N said:
Well, there's a reason why Mesa puts something like
Caution! Bias setting must match tubes in use
right below that 6L6 / EL34 bias switch. :wink:

No worries, all you've done is caused a bit of extra wear on
the output tubes and the output transformer probably got a
bit warmer than usual.
Like Charlie said, it's all right if you haven't used it on that
setting for very long or at a high volume.

noob.jpg

thanks for the picture and the reminder, i feel much better now :oops:

now, if i can only follow the surgeon's warning label on my cigarette packs...

i'm having my amp guy come by this week to the studio to take a look at it, just to make sure everything's okay. i'll give an update... maybe my stupid action can help someone from making a similar mistake.

You have your guy coming to the studio to take a look at your amp? Do you not trust your own ears and eyes to determine if there's been a change in your tone? :roll:

jbird, what's the problem? i wanna make sure everything's fine. yeah, the amp works and it sounds the same, but i did something i'm not supposed to do so i wanna make sure it did not damage my amp.

maybe it was a mistake posting here...

I think jbird means, if it sound fine to you, likely you did not do any damage. That's all, well that's the impression I get.

If you did some damage, you could tell by listening to your amp if it sounds different than before or if its starts blowing fuses or grid resistor blows[?].

If you switched it to EL34s mode for a short period before switching back to 6L6s, you might be fine if everything sounds o-kay.

I would guess all your amp guy is going to do is turn on the amp, tell you to play and if nothing happens in the next hour, then your amp is fine.

If you don't trust your ears or the comments made here, that's ok. I can't blame you for being really careful with your Boogie ! I sure know I would be if I owned one ..
If the judgement of your amp guy will put your mind at ease, have him over and have a beer afterwards. Be sure to let us know what he said.

But don't loose any sleep over it and feel free to post anything here. Remember that those who don't post are the ones that are actually frying stuff by wrapping tin foil over a fuse or something. :D

To conclude:
beer005.gif

pjrake said:
is there a way to tell if one of the tubes are blown?

WHAT ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
How do you know when a lamp is blown or not ? :twisted:

V!N said:
If you don't trust your ears or the comments made here, that's ok. I can't blame you for being really careful with your Boogie ! I sure know I would be if I owned one ..
If the judgement of your amp guy will put your mind at ease, have him over and have a beer afterwards. Be sure to let us know what he said.

But don't loose any sleep over it and feel free to post anything here. Remember that those who don't post are the ones that are actually frying stuff by wrapping tin foil over a fuse or something. :D

To conclude:
beer005.gif

dude, if you were in NYC you can have a beer on me :)

thanks for the words. i really like this board and i guess was just feeling really bummed out about my amp.

Latest posts

Back