I think,broken valves

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
Hi I just got my new recto shipped today,The valves were out of the amp (6l6's) and three out of the 4 have the little nib from the end snapped off\9the bit in the middle of the prongs),Is it safe to run these in the amp,Im currently running the dual at 50watts (only 2 power tubes)and my old el34's,I was just wondering cause I've had fuses blow on me in other amps due to the nib being snapped off,The rectifier tubes have the same problem but Im running in silicon diode anyway so I t doesnt matter.I will have to wait for pay day to re tube (bummer)the entire amp,all the preamp 12ax7's are fine and running great

cheers for any help

Euan

cheers rabies,Well I think they were mayby snapped before shipping as I could only find two of them in the packaging,They were out of there sockets and rapped up and placed inside the head,I have fuses so I might just try putting them in and seeing wot happens.belive me I wil be retubing her as soon as My wage goes in

thanks alot rabies

Euan

lol,yeh I use it in silicon diode settin any way but its the power tubes,the problem I have now is that when I replaced the tubes from my old EL's to the 6l6's I forgot to change the bias switch,POP,it went off,fuse is fine must need a new bias section now,Im such a freekin idiot,ohh well it does look badass

d'oh!!!!!!

Euan

yeh I thought It would have blown before anything else but the fuse doesnt look blown at all,no blackening or anything,what happened to your RK when the fuse didnt blow?Im gonna get in contact with my local mesa tech,or music store tech to get it checked over,get a new fuse from them and check that first as it may have blown but there is no sign of a blown fuse,I opened the head up and no component looked fried or that so I dont know if the bias section is needing redone or if this fuse is very strange and doesnt give off any sign of being blown,on the plus side I got my purple jewel light on it,just have to wait to get it powered up to see what its really like

Cheers for the help
Euan

I think sometimes a short won't always blow the fuse because there is enough resistance, in the path of the short, which keeps the current below the fuse's rating.

Back