I slaved my Mark IV into my Mark III the other day.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychodave

Reaction score
The power and tone are killer. I dont know if I can go back to just using one amp now. I was running my Mark III into 2 Mesa 4x12s loaded with MC-90's and my Mark IV in 2 Mesa 4x12s one loaded with 2 EVM12Ls and 2 MC-90s and the other loaded with 4 EVM12Ls. I was getting old Sykes Whitesnake tone in spades... 8)

gts said:
psychodave - The visual I saw after reading this post had me literally laughing out loud. (4) 4x12 cabs, (2) amps slaved driving the cabs (while at home?)... pricelsss

Is your house still on its foundation? When would you ever use that much power?

gts said:
psychodave - The visual I saw after reading this post had me literally laughing out loud. (4) 4x12 cabs, (2) amps slaved driving the cabs (while at home?)... pricelsss

I was thinking about getting a splitter and running the signal into a Marshall 100/100 EL-34 power amp. Then it could be 6 to 8 4x12s going at the same time. Keep in mind, it is not about how loud it gets, but how the sound fills up the room. 8)

Vigo1999 said:
when you guys slave your amps, you load'em both with cabs or only the slaved one?? :?:
I have the same question. I heard that the amp will burn up if it is not hooked up to a cab, even if it is slaved is this true?

themisfit138 said:
Vigo1999 said:
when you guys slave your amps, you load'em both with cabs or only the slaved one?? :?:
I have the same question. I heard that the amp will burn up if it is not hooked up to a cab, even if it is slaved is this true?

Yeah, each head is running a couple of speaker cabinets. Your OT will blow up if you don't either have some speakers or a dummy load on each head. I came **** close to blowing up an old amp of mine in a similar fashion. Thank God the fuse popped and just a couple of power tubes blew up on me.

Hey Dave, how big's the room you were filling with this festival of tone?

psychodave said:
Keep in mind, it is not about how loud it gets, but how the sound fills up the room. 8)

I will agree. It is the more spacious sound and 3D effect that I like about slaving the amps. Much fuller sound than just hooking up eight speakers to one amp and cranking the volume to 11.

in Indonesia ... I can;t get my .50cal + hooked up to the extension cab in my house without police showing up !!! you are causing a seismic plate shift ...

How does slaving an amp exactly work? One amp controls itself and the other also? Good someone give me a detailed explanation? Thanks.

ESPEcho602 said:
How does slaving an amp exactly work? One amp controls itself and the other also? Good someone give me a detailed explanation? Thanks.

You're basically feeding the preamp from one amp directly into the power amp of another... so in my case I slave out of my Mark IV into my Stiletto Ace. I have a 2x12 cab attached to my Mark IV and then use the slave out control to feed the signal into the FX Return of my Stiletto Ace. In this arrangement, the only controls that work on the Ace are the output volume control and the presence knob.

So the amp you're slaving out of acts completely normal, the difference is the amp you're slaving into.

Hope that makes sense.

Ah now I see. Thanks for clearing that up. So your Mark IV is running completely normal only your just adding or creating new tones with it by slaving into your Stiletto?

ESPEcho602 said:
Ah now I see. Thanks for clearing that up. So your Mark IV is running completely normal only your just adding or creating new tones with it by slaving into your Stiletto?

Exactly, nothing changes about my Mark IV except now that I have a pair of EL34's and 2x12 speakers inside my ace combo being powered by it as well.

devilrob1979 said:
themisfit138 said:
Vigo1999 said:

Yeah, each head is running a couple of speaker cabinets. Your OT will blow up if you don't either have some speakers or a dummy load on each head. I came **** close to blowing up an old amp of mine in a similar fashion. Thank God the fuse popped and just a couple of power tubes blew up on me.

Hey Dave, how big's the room you were filling with this festival of tone?

It is in my basement….since my basement is half finished, I would say around 700 square feet. Like I said before, it is not about volume, but how the sound fills out the room. The more speakers you have the more air that is being moved.

Ive made the question cause i've already saw both ways.

when i slave i do hook up cabs on both amps, the slavior and the slaved (hummm, good use for a song's name . . .) :idea: , but i once saw a guy that wasnt using a cab on the "slavior", where he just takes the signal and goes to the mixer then to the PA (if im not wrog he was using a dummy load) and the slaved amp drives the cabs on the stage.

wierd, but actually worked out great, his tone was very cool that night. 8)

lesterpaul said:
I slave out to my mk iv from my coliseum beast when I have been a bad boy...and when the wife and kid and neighbors leave town :twisted:

I save my slaving until the neighbors get too cocky with the "mexican polka". Then I will unleash the fury of "however many watts it will take" of Boogie power to override the loud neighbors. And if I am not in the mood to play, the 1200 watt home stereo will do the trick. I am probably known as "El loco gringo". :lol:

Back