I need your help!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RectoFreak

Reaction score
Okay, so here is the deal. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on another MK V. (I had a MKV combo but sold it and have been kicking myself in the *** ever since) My problem is, should I get another combo or should I get the head version? I am strictly a living room guitarist that has been playing for well over 20 years and will remain as such until the end of time. I have no desire to play out and about.

Anyway, should I get the combo or the head? If you recommend the head version, which cabinet? I don't need a 4X12. Maybe a 1X12 or 2X12 would suit my needs. Any advantages to one over the other? Combo's do tend to rattle the hell out of tubes. Hmmm. I don't know. Let me know what you think!

You sound just like me!

I do play in a weekly 'parents' band (all of our kids are better than us) but I'm mainly a basement warrior.

But - I got rid of all my combos and only by heads now.

The beauty of a head is that the speaker combinations are endless and they are typically lighter to carry around than combos.

Yes - you have to carry 2 pieces (head and cabinet) but believe me when I tell you that my back is MUCH happier to carry my Rectoverb head and a small 1x12 cabinet than my old Fender Twin Reverb (2x12 combo) or my Blackstar HT Stage 60 (2x12 combo)

I'd get the head

Hope this helps!
Chris

Hi mate

Yea I hear ya, I also am a home player only, but even still I would go a head and speaker cab, I would have loved to try the Mk5 before I brought the dual recto, I dont know, but either way I wouldnt have had the money for a mk5, they are so expensive in australia well over 5k..

regards

Casey

Ive never owned a head/cab, but I'll remind you a combo is a PAIN to move change tubes, troubleshoot. Plus I think tighter low end is harder to achieve with a 3/4 back. Oh, and +1 on heavy and awkward to move.

Im just waiting to get out and try a mini + 2x12 vs 1x12 this summer, as I find a 50w is really too much for what I use it for. I just hope the EL84s deliver the same chug as the 6l6s for me.

Back