I need this kind of tone..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.P

Reaction score
hi.. :)

Lead : - Liquid tension experiment..or Erotomania "the silent man" part..

Rhytm : heaviest tone possible without sacrificing any string definition.. more lowmid-ish rather than recto-ish,big cab thumps, pull me under tone should come quite close.. but more heavier and thicker, and abit more lowmids..

could i get those tone from the MarkIV head?
or should i get a stiletto instead?

thanks..

get the mark iv it can get any possible tone, you just need time to understand each knob etc. The Graphic EQ is the essential missing piece to create any tone you want.

Petrucci's tone back then is definitely the Mark series lead tone. He used the Mark IIc+ and Triaxis/2:90 on a lot of those older albums and tours. On the last two Dream Theater albums he used the Road King, and his tone sounds more "modern" as a result. I hear he has gone back to the Mark IIc+ for the album in the works now though. The recto and stiletto sound less smooth to my ear. Both are great for more modern sounds, but are quite different from the Mark series amps. The stiletto to me sounds very much like a recto with a different eq and is more harsh than the older Marshalls they often get compared to, but with a tighter low end. Boogie even states that their intent with the stiletto was to make an amp that would compliment the Recto in a two guitar band, not to compete with Marshall for EL34 tones.

Another thing to consider is his custom Ibanez guitars and selection of Dimarzio pickups contribute a lot to getting those tones. They are very bright and a little scooped sounding. Since he switched to Ernie Ball guitars, his tone is close but not quite the same.

What kind of pickups did he use back then? The steve's special and air norton?Have you tried them. My Ibanez Prestige has Qm1 pick ups (i 've never heard of them berfore) and by the way steve's special comes from steve vai or steve morse. Are their any (more) suitable pickups for 22 frets guitar?

I have only these questions :wink:

DIMOSSTATHOULIS said:
...and by the way steve's special comes from steve vai or steve morse.

Steve in 'Steve's Special' refers to Steve Blucher of DiMarzio.

Btw, I have Steve's Special (bridge) and Air Norton (neck), direct mounted, in one of my guitars with one piece mahogany body and quilted maple top. Works like butter.

NC1.gif

Latest posts

Back